Does your child have seasonal allergies?

My son(4 yrs. old) was diagnosed with allergies (mostly seasonal...and I didn't know until recently seasonal allegies are not just in the Spring) this past Spring. He sees an allergist, and is now on Cetirizine and Veramist. He was on eye drops. His eyes use to get very irriated. He has an on again, off again cough. I don't always know at first if it is from the allergies or he has 'caught a cold'. Does anyone else have a child with seasonal allergies. Any tips or techniques that work for you? I know and have read a lot of the basic stuff. Others stories would be helpful also.

Mommy_of_two

Asked by Mommy_of_two at 9:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• get an air filter for your home and consider taking out or cutting dairy out of your son's diet
    Anonymous

• My DS has allergies ALL THE TIME and Eczema too so much for the breastfeeding warding that stuff off lol
    we use nasonex and we are doing REALY WELL--- we started clairitin oral and nasonex at the same time by day 10 we were just doing nasonex... when he catches a cold I do give him clairitin too
    my sons cough is usually after he wakes up for a bit that is from post nasal drip with the nasonex we dont get the drip too often
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My son and I both have seasonal allergies. We both take Zyrtec D. He takes it once a day and I take it 2 times a day. My allergies last from February to December. Run a vaporizer, keep windows closed as much as possible. I run the AC as much as I can so we can breath.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Been there. Did the allergist do a food panel RAST test?

My "seasonal" allergies got worse every year. Finally at 33 I was tested for a gluten intolerance. Gluten free and no more "seasonal" allergies.

I was taking zyrtec, benedryl, nasonex, and allergy eye drops. Once per year a steroid allergy shot.
    Now I take the occasional benedryl to sleep.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• No, they haven't did the food panel test. I'm going to bring it up at his next appt. for sure though. Thanks.
    Mommy_of_two

Answer by Mommy_of_two at 9:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Sadly, yes. During allergy season, she takes zyrtec (the costco version) and a spoon of local honey daily; we eliminate dairy during her bad weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my youngest gets pressure migraines - from the barometric pressure. we're in chinook zone where the levels can drop in minutes or rise in minutes.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• What type of products do you use in your home? Many store bought products make allergies worse. I use all natural products. You may want to consider switching your products.
    Check this link out. You may find it very helpful.
    http://www.switchingstores.com/ecarrillo

Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We use sigular and nasonex. My girls also have asthma and with the singular we don't even need the rescue inhaler and we've cut the nasonex back to every other day. The way I know a difference with a cold is that I keep them inside and the cough doesn't improve, or the stuffyness doesn't improve.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2009