kindergarten

Ever since my five year old started kindergarten i feel like i never get to spend time with him. Then tonight he was crying when i put him to bed telling me i had to hold his hand or he would miss me. I held his hand for like an hour and tried to talk to him about why he was so upset, but he just said he didn't want me to go downstairs and couldn't really say why. Now i have to say this scared me because I have anxiety and I fear the worst. I immediately questioned my self as to whether or not he thought something bad was going to happen to me. I never asked him anything like that but i was thinking it. Finally i left him in his room because he wouldn't go to sleep and he has school tomorrow. I don't know what to do is school not the right choice for him? I am at a loss.

jnthn949

Asked by jnthn949 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it must be the age my dd is in k also and she does that too every morning before she leaves for school she says i'll miss you mommy and does this whinny thing.
    lizzysmom83

Answer by lizzysmom83 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I'm just guessing here, but I have a first grader who was like this last year too. She was used to being home with me and then suddenly was away from me for 6 hours a day. She became quite emotional often. She would cry and become clingy to me in the evenings. I spent extra time with her, especially at bedtime. I read her extra stories and held her hand, but I didn't talk to her about whether or not school was the right thing for her because I didn't want her to use that as a weapon against me. You know how kids can be, if you put that idea into their head, they will use it to get what they wants. In fact, we had talked about homeschooling prior to her going to kindergarten, she used that whenever she could. "But mommy, I think that you need to teach me at home." She is in first grade now, she has adjusted very well. She just told me today that kindergarten was silly, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My daughter does the same thing. I think it just an adjustment...they will be fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Theres a book called the Kissing Hand. It is a really good book to help with adjustments.My daughters preschool teacher gave all the kids who were going to kindergarten that book. Maybe go to the library and read it to him.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 2:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2009