anyone else live with a scrooge??

My SO is such a scrooge! Every year he gets worse! We have 3 kids 20mos,5 & 6. The baby I want to get 3 things and more for the older kids but he is being such a pain. Most the gifts aren't really expensive but yea they add up with 3! We went x-mas shopping today and we raced through target and barely go anything! Like $93 and he says we are done ( 1 item for older kids and 2 for the baby!) WELL WE ARE NOT! I am trying not to go over board but this is ridiculous. Its hard for me because he has always had good xmas as a child but I have not. yes I know holidays are not just about the gifts but scrooge is flipping annoying me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Holidays

• I totally understand. I go shopping on my own for gifts. My SO thinks it is crazy to get a whole bunch of gifts. Luckily we only have one to buy for, but this is his very first christmas and I plan to go all out. I have already gotten him about 15 gifts(only 2 of which were bought with SO there with me). He says I am done shopping, but I'm not. I still got 2 months worth of buying to do. Go out when you are alone, or only have the baby and buy some things. I'm sure you will be glad you did.
    Anonymous

• My husband doesn't even want to put a tree up. He refuses to shop for Christmas at all. I am going alone. Whatever, this way he cannot try and tell me what I will and will not get MUAHAHHA. So yeah, just from now on, go xmas shopping with a friend :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• No, but then again Christmas isn't really about the quantity of gifts. Having a safety net in the bank and  a roof/food does.  You two should be in the same mind set on this.  Don't fight over toys that your kids probably don't need, that's how relationships fall apart.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yes. My DH is frugal by nature, which I am thankful for because we have built up a comfortable savings. The first 5 yrs or so, Xmas was so stressful for him but I refused to let it damper my spirits. Now we agree on a Xmas budget every year so that makes things alot easier. We also agree, no credit card charges for anything. We pay cash. I refuse to go into debt over Xmas because that is not the meaning of this season. Also, I think as we have both gotten older, he leans a little more my way and I lean a little more his way.

Just try to talk it out and agree on an acceptable budget. This way you can both enjoy the holidays.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 11:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• oh me me me!!! my dh is the BIGGEST SCROOGE out there!

stems from his upbringing, but I'm slowly (very SLOWLY) changing him to the bright, glittery, happy side.

keep telling him to enjoy it and stop killing the joy in front of the kids.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Also, I do special things just for dh at Xmas, too. I make his fav. dessert and surprise him with it. I make cookies for everyone in his office. I go to his office to put up a few cheesy decorations. Normally, I buy a "special" christmas nightie that I know he will enjoy (this year I am prego and will be as big as a house by Xmas). I make sure that I do my best to make his season enjoyable so that he doesn't get lost in the holiday hustle and bustle.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 1:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Just go to the Dollar Tree and buy coloring books, crayons, gadgets so you can both be happy. The kids will have more to open and you won't go broke.
    Anonymous

• Uh oh I think Im the scrooge! LOL
    My hubby gets way too much and Im like, "you know your parents are going to get them stuff too and blah, blah..." lol I like quality, a few nicer toys, than a bunch of everything.
    Hope you he can come to a compromise with you. GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I spend about somewhere between $80. to $100. each on our 5 grandkids. And my DH will start throwing hints that i have spent enough. LOL
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 7:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2009