How do you handle the holidays with step kids?

DH and I have one child together and he has two from a previous marriage. We have them every other weekend and two evenings a week, they are both in school full time. He pays child support for both so we don't have a lot of extra money to spend on Christmas. How would you go about buying gifts as far as spending more or less on what children? I feel bad saying it but we will spend more on our child together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Depending on there age just buy them gift cards.
    Anonymous

• You should spend more on your child. They have their Mother to spend more on them! I Buy my family more than my DH family. My sister and his sisters are all 13. I always tend to get my sister more or something better than his sisters. But then there are 2 of them to spend on and only one for me. Plus he has a little brother to buy for also. I have ONE sister haha. but still those kids are getting to christmas's they dont need lots from you and their mother
    Anonymous

• if you spend more then you should do it like this depending on age...
    santa should bring your childs gifts when they are not their...
    and when all kids are around give equal gifts...i think its the only fair way. Let the other 2 do santa with their mother.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You can't blatently favor your child without hurting your step childrens feelings. If you want to give your kid more presents then the step kids then don't let them see because you don't want to make them feel like they are worth less to their father then their half sibling. Kids aren't going to think of the fact that they have two different christmas times what they will think of is how unfair it is that they both only got one present while little julie or timmy got five.
    Anonymous

• Keep everything even, at least when all the kids are around. My parents played favorites like that and trust me, even if they understand two Christmases, it still is a pretty serious blow to a kid to be given proof that they're less important. Keep the extra presents for your child for later when the step-kids aren't around.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 2:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We never go by a $ amount. Kids don't understand that. We try to buy equal amount of gifts. That way one child does not get 6 and the other 2 gifts. All children should be gifted & loved equally regardless of how many parents they have.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2009