kiddo starting school after Xmas break? Have you done this?

Son turned 5 on Oct 30th, so obviously missed the kindergarten cut off. He had Stanford Binet testing and is "gifted" and is at or ahead of everything the kindergarteners are currently doing (writing 1st name, counting, learning address, etc)

I am considering entering him into school after Xmas break... so he can finish the year with peers and then start 1st grade in the fall a month before turning six. My mother in law is horrified, saying that all the kids will reject him terribly since they've already bonded. I say that's dumb since there could be a few new kids, kids transferring classrooms for whatever reason, plus after all those weeks off for break, a new face isn't necessarily a terrible thing.

Anyone done something similar? thoughts/comments welcome

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I haven't done it, but you're right. New kids come and go all the time, so that should not even be an issue. 5 year olds don't bond like your MIL suggested.

I would think though, that since he was not 5 in time to start the year, that he would not be allowed to start mid-year. That's odd to me if they would allow it. You should also consider giving him a full year of kinder next year, so he is fully prepared socially and emotionally for first grade.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I say you should go for it. It sounds like he is incredibly smart and can/will find a way to fit in with the kids at school!
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Are you sure the school will even let you? Ours says they have to be 5 by August 1, no matter what. Even if they have already turned 5 later on in the school year they won't let you enroll them until the next year when they meet the cut-off.

As for starting in the middle of the year. My middle daughter started preschool in January a couple years ago. We had missed the registration for the beginning of the year (even though she was the right age). It became apparent by Christmas time that she needed to have classroom time to prep her for kindergarten in the fall so I enrolled her mid-way through the year. She was already 5 when she started preschool. She did fine and made lots of friends. She's in 1st grade now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• So, academically he's ready.

What about emotionally and socially? Is he mature enough to handle school?

It's not just all about academics. My almost 4 year old already does everything they're doing in kindergarten, and then some. I'd never dream about even trying to put him in. (he is reading and doing simple math)

Will the school allow it? Ours won't, no matter what they test somewhere. The kids have to wait until they meet the cut off requirements and THEN any special needs will be discussed...such as gifted classes.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there should be a problem with him starting after break.My daughter was 5 when she started kindergarten.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 2:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2009