Do you know someone with Asperger's?

How can you tell someone has it? Do they act slow?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Me =)

I'm not slow by any means. Not at all, and neither is anyone else that I know with it. The majority of us have above-average intelligence. We're extremely socially awkward. I have major trouble making and keeping eye contact with people. Most of us have trouble with talking on the phone because it can be hard to gauge gaps between speaking turns. Some of us have issues with external stimuli, like me, if someone is doing something that sets me off (certain body stances, for instance) I can't focus on what they're saying. We daydream a lot. Most of us have trouble making and keeping friends. We tend to focus on one single fact instead of the whole picture. We tend to love obsessing over certain things.

Thing is, AS can be misdiagnosed as just being socially awkward or shy. Girls get missed more than boys. There's a group here on CM of those of us that have it and other forms of autism.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I run a playgroup and there are 40 kids involved. Two of the boys have aspergers. The first to be diagnosed didn't show any telltale signs of autism. His parents had him tested when they had concerns, but to the rest of the group he was just like the others. The second boy diagnosed displayed more behavioral differences- didn't choose to play with the crowd, communicated without words, chose not to walk. All of those just made him a little different from the other kids his age, but I'm not sure an outsider would have guessed he had aspergers. Neither boy acts "slow".
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The person I know who has it is just very socially awkward. She talks and talks (at least to me, maybe because she is comfortable with me?) but she just keeps going from one subject to another and never really makes any point or includes the other person, so it's not a conversation, you just get stuck listening to her forever until you can break away somehow. She has trouble keeping a job because she doesn't go, she is in a lot of debt because she spends money like crazy. Basically she isn't able to make good decisions or see the negative consequences of bad decisions. She is in her 30s and lives with her parents and probably won't ever be able to take care of herself because of the job/money issues. I don't know if she is typical of not, she is the sister of a good friend of mine and she was only diagnosed a few years ago.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yes, I have Asperger's Syndrome, and no, we don't act "slow". In fact, by definition, people with Asperger's Syndrome have average to above average intelligence, so we are far from "slow" and are usually much more intelligent than the people around us. How symptoms of the disorder will be expressed by a given individual will vary from person to person and can be very mild to quite severe.  Symptoms will be similar to those with classic Autistic Disorder in that the individual will have problems in the areas of communication, socialization and behavior, but those with Asperger's Syndrome are usually most dysfunctional in the area of socialization, especially with pragmatics.

Anonymous

• Yes. My former neighbor's son. He's always been a bit strange. Like he does things one would consider strange for a child. He used to take apart everything. And draw all over things. And was anti social & things.
    Anonymous

• My 19yo has Aspergers and no, he's not slow.He did start K when he was 7 instead of 5 because of hiss social immaturity so he's 19 and in the 12th grade (turned in August) but it's not a big issue. There are 3 or 4 other kids his age in the 12th grade and a couple who are 20. He has what we like to call a few "quirks" and if you don't know him well you'd never even guess that he as Aspergers. He's an A/B student (no special classes), he is on his way to the Air Force after graduation, he played football for 8 years (last game was the last one of his Senior year), he runs track, he is in drama, this weekend he's at a camp for SADD and he's a counsselor, he's a mentor to younger students and he works as a cashier. He's pretty much like any other high school senior but those quirks show up from time to time and he deals with them.
    Anonymous

• a close relative has it. It is considered "high functioning autism", and people who have it are often quite intellegent. It's the social aspects of aspergers that classify it in the autism catagory. Often, one with aspergers can actually be sensitive to touch, which makes physical closeness difficult. But with pateince, love, and understanding, it can be overcome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my 22 yr old has it if you need to talk pm me
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My son turned 2 in August and has been diagnosed and is undergoing therapy for Aspergers. I am part of the playgroup that your first question replier was refering to. My son was the second boy. Are you concerned about your own child? These are what I noticed about my son:

When he wanted something he didn't point or ask, he would just scream.
    He would get anxious when others were around.
    He wouldn't look people in the eyes.
    He had no imaginative or pretend play (cars didn't drive, etc.)
    He has a hand tic.
    When stressed out he walks in circles.
    He hoards toys and is very possessive of his "favorite things"
    He was 17 months before he walked.
    He will only eat certain textured foods.
    He is clumsy.
    He hasn't picked a left or right hand.

There are probably more but those are the top things. If you have any questions pm me.
    HappyHomeMommy

Answer by HappyHomeMommy at 5:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The above people are also correct. Although my son has some things that keep him back he is quite intelligent. He thinks of ways to do things that I wouldn't even think of!! Children with Autism tend to be above average in intelligence. They typically don't have the same social or communication skills as others. (Depending where on the Autism spectrum they are).
    HappyHomeMommy

Answer by HappyHomeMommy at 5:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009