what car could I buy for 4000 or under?

My husband and I would like to purchase a car.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 10:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• It would have to be older, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I bought a 2001 PT cruiser for 6000 a couple years ago. You could probably get something similar (a full sized family car or a cruiser for example) for a couple grand less.

Just head down to your local used car dealership and see what they have.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• a local dealer with used cars, you can ALWAYS talk them down! I got a minivan that was marked at $3800 for $2000, that's been awhile ago now....but you can still check to see what's in your area
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You can search Craigslist by price.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I think ati 13 is right, it will probably have to be older but that doesn't mean it won't be reliable. I would look for a toyota, mazda, nissan. They seem to be the longest lasting cars. I have a mazda 626 with 250,000 miles on it. Have had it over 10 years and other than basic upkeep I have only has one major thing to do about 6 years ago that cost around 2,000.00 but other than that never had any problems. And to tell you the truth, I don't treat my car very well, lol, so I'm impressed with how it's held up. We also bought a nissan pathfinder used it has 150,000 miles and runs great. And Toyotas seem to be known for running forever. I see them on ebay (where we purchased our nissan) craigslist and the local newspaper and I see alot of these cars for 4,000 or under.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Check local auctions, your newspapers....and craigslist...i would use a dealership as a last resort, they have the highest mark ups
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2009