If you have homeowner's insurance, what do you have and how do you like their company?

I'm looking for a new home insurance since mine is flaking out on me. They are canceling my home insurance due to fact it's isolated and no hand rails on the 3 steps we have going to the back. I'm not getting the "isolated" part...maybe it's because my neighbors house and my house are too spaced apart. I still think they are getting us on a dumb technicality. So now I'm off looking for a new company to do business with.

starbucks81

Asked by starbucks81 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We have Allstate. We have know problem with them. But we live in town.

Answer by louise2 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Allstate is tremendous. If you have a car, you will get a dscount (10%, I think) on both policies if they are with the same company.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I had Nationwide when I owned my house and it was Awesome.
    tristansmom74

Answer by tristansmom74 at 7:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We have AllState too, and I have never had any problems with them. Our home was hit by a tornade in 2006 and sustained major damage; we had no issues with AllState covering everything that needed to be covered and working well with the restoration company in charge of basically rebuilding half our house. The adjuster also showed up very quickly, and I was impressed with that because often when there is extensive damage in a region like there was when this happened, it can take a lot longer for the insurance people to get out there. But that wasn't the case; I think they were out the very next morning.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I have had State Farm for 35 years and have had 2 fires and a bugulary. I have been happy with their service in each case. They give you replacement value for your lost items.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Our homeowner's, renter's, and auto insurance are all through the same company, who also happens to be Our main bank. You have to be prior or current military, though..at least, I'm pretty sure they still do it that way.
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 9:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I think you are being taken advantage of. If those are the reasons they are canceling the policy for then they should have never issued a policy in the first place. I am an independent insurance adjuster and see this happen way to many times. You need to get a letter from the ins. co stating the exact reasons for cancellation and do not tell any other provider the reasons this company is dropping you. As an insurance adjuster I can tell you all insurance companies are the same when it comes to filing a claim, but a few are a little more lienient. I have State Farm and they currently hold my homeowners, flood, auto, life, and accidental insurance. We get major discounts because we are "bundled" with them. There are also small agencies around that search the databases to find you the lowest premuims.

If you have any other questions please feel free to msg me if you want.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2009