Any moms who are nurses or have extensive experience with this...

My four month old son recently started refusing to eat his cereal and bananas. He literally takes about two bites and then will not open his mouth. I have been breast-feeding him about every 2-3 hours to make up for this. The problem is that he's not pooping and I'm really starting to get worried. He's passing gas with no problem, his belly remains soft and he doesn't act like he's in pain or feeling poorly. He hasn't pooped in over a week...it's been 11 days. My mom and sister say it's because he's not eating his cereal but I can't force it down his throat. Should I take him to the doctor or just wait it out since he doesn't seem bothered by it? Help me!!!

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 11:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ITs normal for a breastfed baby to do that, the baby is not ready for solids yet so i would suggest to stop with the cereal and fruit until the baby is 6 months old.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• you need to take him to the doctor right away that is WAY TOO LONG for a baby to not poop
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Not a nurse, but cereal & bananas are very constipating so I'd say he's intuitively figured out to not eat those any more.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• maybe feed him some prunes
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• you will probably have to give him a lax.

AND STOP FEEDING HIM CEREAL AND BANANNAS. geeze
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You can give him a bit of karo syrup in water and it will act as a laxative. I would consult with a doctor. MY OWN EXPERIENCE has been nurse without solids. Bananas are not one of the first fruits.
    I was always taught to give rice cereal and then oatmeal and then veggies. Fruits are last.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone...this is way more helpful then my mom and my sister...no offense to them but my sister is 44 and my mom is 69. It's been a while since they've had little ones...that's why I joined cafemom!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 11:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My DD went through the same thing, it is NORMAL for BF babies to go UP TO 14 DAYS WITHOUT POOPING (and right around 4 months)!! You should call your doctor to make sure (s)he isn't worried about it, but I know for a fact it is normal.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Well, I've been keeping a real close eye on him. As I said, he's not been fussy, his belly's not hard and I can't feel any lumps, he's not running a fever and he's passing gas (it really stinks too). I guess I'm just not sure how long is okay because I've got so many different things coming from my mom and sister. It's insane...my aunt, who has never had kids, even offers me advice and then I just get more confused. They think I'm worrying too much!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 11:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• the same thing happened with mine, aroudn that age. I was only BF, no solids. The Dr. told me to get a suppository, it goes in the bum. I cut it in half, gave her half. It didn't have much effect, so the Dr. said she is not blocked, I'll just have to wait. So I think she went 9 days with out pooping.

But really, lose the solids. No need this early.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2009