How hard is it to become a foster parent?

I am a single mother and would love to be a foster parent. Is it hard to start and will it be a problem that I do not have a husband or man in the house? When I am ready how do I begin the process, what classes and what not?

ashlrenee

Asked by ashlrenee at 11:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Adoption

• I know single parents are allowed to be foster parents but the foster system requires you to make enough money on your own to pay ALL your own bills and that you cannot be dependent upon the foster money. That said, more power to you. We NEED good foster parents in the system, too many children have suffered at the hands of foster parents as much as their own parents. I've seen such horrible things happen to children in the system. I hope that you can bring hope to a child's life. It's a very tough job, being a foster parent and I wish you all the best of luck!!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 11:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Thank you Jess, that is alot of help. :}
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 12:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I know that around here, they are DESPERATE for foster parents. They run ads in the "Help Wanted" section of the newspaper begging people to be foster parents. My cousin signed up and they said she had to have a home inspection, get her dogs vet records, take classes, etc. etc. before she could become certified or whatever. Literally 2 days after she started the process, before she'd taken a SINGLE class or anything, they called her up with 2 kids. She's been fostering for about a year now and I dont know if she ever did finish everything she was supposed to. Not that that's good, I'm just saying, they're practically flinging kids on peoples doorsteps in PA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I was a single mom foster parent for 5 years before marrying my current husband. You need to take 40 hours of training, CPR & First Aid, pass a home inspection, fire inspection, pass the FBI, State, County(Sheriff) and if you live in the city the police background checks. They do these all at one time. There's a bunch of new rules being handed down. One is you're not allowed to smoke in the prescene of the children. I don't smoke but I still don't understand that one. All animals have to be up to date on vacinations. You then have to have an additional 20 hours of training every year & keep CPR & first aid current. You also have to show what you will do with the children while you're at work. I really enjoy being a foster parent but sometimes there are things that will really get you down. You need to be prepared for that. All the training in the world never prepares you for what you actually see with the kids. Good luck!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• First, you should be very careful with having a young child of your own! Second, you should also be very careful taking in troubled children, being a single woman, do you have time to commit to other child, besides your own? I have seen several children placed with single people, that end up in worse shape because they spend all of their time in preschool, school and daycare, they don't get enough personal one on one attention that they need more than anything!!! I strongly urge you to think it through, for the sake of the children!!!
    Anonymous

• Each state has rules for becoming a Foster Parent, you should check wiht your local DFS office and see what they require.
    FstrMom2009

Answer by FstrMom2009 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010