Conception date confusion:

Is that the day you had sex and made a baby or when the sperm met the egg which may be days later which is what made the baby I know this may be a stupid question but it is confusing me a bit.Can someone clear it up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never quite understood that myself. I know they go by your last period, but (apparently) unlike many other women I had no clue of mine when I was prego. I do not chart my periods, all the docs and techs I talked to thought this was odd. They just went by the size of my fetus, and I wound up delivering exactly one week after the due date I was given which my OB and ultrasound techs kept changing.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• That's the day the sperm met the egg... which may or may not have been the day you had sex. I think the maximum length of time a sperm can survive is 3 days before it meets the egg. And conception dates can be off plus or minus eight days. Beyond eight days off is pretty rare.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Op Here: i Looked at a site and based off information if conception date is when you had sex to make a baby than,it can't be my husbands and being he is the only man i have been with has raised some confusion to me...lol
    Anonymous

• And, side note, sperms that make boys tend to die quicker than sperms that make girls. Sperms for boys generally are thought to only live one day while sperms for girls can live 3 (or is it 5?) days. I did a looooottttt of research on this when I first found out I was preggo.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Thanks so much Preggoandfat that is more clear.I know these estimates can be off by a few days even when your cycles are regular but kinda confused me based off the information too when it showed when i conceived was like i was not with my hubby that day so,good to know.
    Anonymous

• what do you mean that it cant be your husbands bcof the conception date? the conception date is when you had sex w him. that didn make much sense to me. are you talking about when they calculate from? bc that is the day of your last period, NOT your conception date.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• if you are saying the date the doctors said you conceived, they just guess. :) i look at conception as when the sperm fertilizes the egg which can be a few days around when you had sex, depending on when you ovulate. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2009