Is there anyone not celebrating Christmas because you can't afford it?

We aren't. We aren't even having Thanksgiving this year. It sucks trying to explain to my kids why we can't take the pretty trees at the store home. My son remembers what it is and doesn't understand the meaning "no money".
I've gotten pretty stressed over it actually, i even broke down in the store today when we passed all the Christmas stuff. I do get food stamps but they barely cover neccesities fo the month. I have called toys for tots and they stopped taking people in August! Our local churches have already helped everyone they can.
So anyone else in the same boat and not able to afford the holidays?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Holidays

• Yes. I am. We're not quite as hard up as you seem to be, but we're there. My daughter is too little to understand, so that's a blessing. We're able to afford a couple little things for her for christmas, but that's it.

You can still do other things. Like walk or drive around your neighborhood and look at the christmas lights. Or make it a big deal to eat all together that night, spend some family time, read A Tale Of Two Cities or something.

This can be a good thing. You are teaching your children that what's important is family and love and not money or material things.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• There is more to Christmas than the monetary side of it. Yea it s*cks to not be able to afford things when others are buying but I definitely wouldn't tell my child we're not celebrating because we have no money. Make your own decorations at home, make homemade gifts. If you really want to find a way to celebrate the holidays you can do it for free.
    Anonymous

• I think Christmas can still be celebrated without having an onslaught of toys and material posessions. It is important to show children that material things do not make the holidays memorable- but rather the people with whom they are spent.

Try explaining to your son that Christmas can still be celebrated without money being spent. Get into the spirit of giving your time, rather than gifts. (maybe go to church for a Christamas Eve service, help out at a food pantry, ring the bell for the salvation army).
    Try to look on the bright side. It is hard, but you and your family will make it through these trying times.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Oh yes, my husband has been unemployed for almost a full year now. What I was able to do...I went to garage sales and got many great things for my daughter and barely spend anything. Problem is the garage sales were mostly for girls and now I have nothing for my other two sons! Dont know what I am going to do yet because if I bought what would equal my daughter brand new...we would be broke!!

I really like what the other mom's wrote, it is true that Christmas is not about gifts but about something so much more special!!! Starting a tradition to recognize that is the real blessing!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• OP here- I know that Christmas is more than gifts but I am afraid i am not going to be completely together (mentally) on Christmas. I was due the day after Christmas and had my first miscarriage this past June. I was doing good but as it comes closer i find myself more emotional. I am really trying for my kids but find it harder every day. I'm not trying to make excuses but i also wouldn't even know where to start at making our own decorations. I'm not very good when it comes to crafting things. Does anyone know any sites that might help? I have joined groups on here to help with my losses and so far that and my kids are the only things keeping me sane. Thanks for the answers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Here is a great site that I found:www.the-best-homemade-gift-ideas.com. Christmas lights are always a favorite along with hot cocoa and family. Keep your spirits up!

KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You MUST still celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas. Money is not the meaning or reason these holidays exist. This is a great time to teach this lesson to your children. Teach them that Thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you DO have....each other, health, love, God, a home, food on your table, assistance...all things for you to be thankful for! And Christmas...well if you celebrate for its true meaning its about Jesus Christ! Teach them the story of what Christmas is! Please please please...use this as a blessing because it truly can be.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We are still celebrating CHRISTmas, but our budget it significantly smaller than any previous year.

It's difficult, but we'll get through it together and keep working hard so that next year can afford us a little more under the tree.

We did not ask for any help from charities or church because even though this is a tough year we felt there were others that needed the help even more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• For crafts you can take white construction paper..or colored too and cut out snowflakes. You can hang these up on windows, doors, from the ceiling or wherever you like. You can do the same with crosses. Check Craigslist "free" section often for Christmas decorations...even trees! Put an add out on Craigslist for Christmas decorations AND non perishable foods too. I can't believe your churches are out of food. If you belong to a church, they would help you. If you don't, maybe this is a good time to start going and getting into the true spirit of the season. My church collects canned goods at every event they do and we give baskets on a regular basis..we are less than 60 people!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• OP here- I am with a great church but it has almost 1,000 members. They said they haven't gotten enough donations this year to help very many families and mine is on the list but it's at the very bottom so if they have anything they will help but they said they're not sure with what and how much. If it helps i live in Phoenix, Arizona and i have checked everywhere i can think for help. Thank you for all the ideas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2009