My son is 15 and refuses to take his ADHD medicine

Now up until 8th grade if he missed his medicine, there would surely be a call from the teacher and/or principal. Now in 9th grade, he did get suspended a couple of times for fighting. But it was not from his ADHD. Anyway, he stated that he wanted to be drug free and that medicine makes him feel weird so he doesn't want to take it. I supported it at first because I didn't get any calls regarding disruptive behavior from his teachers and I kept in contact with him to let them know what was going on. But he has failed all of his classes except PE. Summer school would be $250 dollars in which he will only make up .5 credits and if he doesn't do the work that would be $250 wasted. I've taken away everything. His xbox, computer privileges. Nothing is working. He does his chores i.e. dishes, mow lawn, washes his clothes, cleans the bathroom. He gets the normal teenage attitude but I don't know what else to do to motivate him. I was told to let him fail and maybe he'll realize the

runnyvenom

Asked by runnyvenom at 5:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• i think you should tell his doctor that the medicine makes him feel funny and have your son describe to the doc how it makes him feel.
    he obviously needs the medication to focus him on learning and you are not doing him any justice to leave him off of it.
    my brother had meds that made him feel weird but the doc lowered the dose and he was fine.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son is adhd and has never taken meds. Do some research for other ideas. I found that liquid lavender in his bed will help him sleep better. No red dye. If you can cut this out it will help. The doc. also said to try coffee. My son has to take the FCAT ( state testing) it help him focus and stay calm. ( my son has anger issues) Good luck
    Simply_southern

Answer by Simply_southern at 9:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes he is acting like a normal teen. maybe sit down with him and explan ok you wont take your meds. then we are going to change the foods you eat. try glueten free breads nondairy milk and ice cream making pizza. make him invalved in the change and see if that helps with lowering his meds and maybe he could only take the meds once a day insted of 2 times a day. just an idea. something to try. what ever work.
    annangel

Answer by annangel at 11:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Have you tried krill (fish) oil? They've had remarkable results with it and ADHD. It's natural. I think he may be taking to much or the wrong med. With mine we do everything on a trial basis. We try to lower the doses or be off the meds in the summer but they have to do different things that show concentration level. We homeschool so it's easy enough to test. If they can keep their grades up and not get in trouble or do anything rash we lower or stop meds. If something happens or we see that they aren't concentrating we go back on. If they fail a class, they have to pay for it. That motivates them! I watch them take their meds and there are consequences if they don't. There are other natural things that help if he doesn't want to take the meds but he should know that it's on a trial basis and that you're willing to try if he will accept the meds if nothing works. I hope you can solve this. ADHD can be hard.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 10:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I know that my boyfriend dislikes his adhd medication because of all the strange effects it can have, he was on it for many many years before he quit taking it. It gave him headaches insomnia etc...
    I would mainly be concerned with the question, is he selling his pills? I know, being a high schooler myself, that pills such as concerta adderall and ritalin are in high demand, especially around standardized testing time.
    As for the attitude issues and the lack of concern for schoolwork, I hate to say it but that is just the way teenagers can be. At my school, parents can ask teachers for daily papers that the student has their teacher sign and write any class assignments on to bring home. It may be "invasive" and "inconvenient" for your teen to have you be monitering what all he needs to do before any fun time, but if it gets the job done it gets the job done and it's def. worth calling your son's school and seeing if this option is available.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2008

• At this age, I think you need to listen to what he's telling you about how the meds make him feel. My son is ADHD and we have never medicated; we've been able to rid him of his diagnosis using a biomedical approach (diet, supplementation, detoxification). I never considered meds for him and he was dead set against them too. He was old enough to express why and I had to respect that.

Doe he get any help in school? Have an IEP or 504 accommodations?
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• Hello im sorry to hear about your son's problems in school. I think that you should sit down and talk to him about the problems that he is having. Judging by what you are describing, i think that something is going on with his emotions, i dont know what it is so you have to sit down and talk to him to find out what is wrong.

As for the ADHD Medicine, i recommend you not make him take the medicine, go and research other alternatives. I recommend you go to a book store / Library and read the book, "Natural Cures 'They' dont want you to know about" by Kevin Trudeau, he has recommendations in his book for most of the alternatives that your son can take as well as other exercise activity to reduce stress and detoxifying the body.

I also have some products that I think your son should try out, if you want to know more then write to me and ill help you out with what i have.
    __baovang

Answer by __baovang at 9:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• your 15 year old sounds like he has done some research. Being Drug free is a smart move. There are many possibilities as mentioned from some of the other Moms. Give your son a chance to do it his way. If he is not socially challenged, and does all his chores and for the most part respects you and other family members, count your blessings. Just a suggetion. The Fabric of Autism, which address ADHD; is a great book and easy read. the Author overcame these challenges. Hoping you find the solution, take care of YOU!
    7xsamom

Answer by 7xsamom at 3:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009