need advice/ tips

My husband is going to Basic for 13-18 weeks (we are still waiting to hear exactly how long) I have a 15 month old boy and I have never been away from my husband for more than a night or 2 since he was born; now it is going to be 3-4 months with a possibility of another full year after that.
Can anyone give me some tips or advice on how to make this transition smoothly for both myself and my son.

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 12:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have never been away from your husband for longer than a night or two since his birth, that is a bit odd. I do not understand, how does that happen? Is he you brother or something?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I haven't been away from my husband since my son was born
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 12:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• WTH truthteller! What kid of comment is that? How does that help the OP?

I've only been apart from my husband 7 nights in almost 11 years. It was 7 nights in a row, we had to go to my brother's wedding without my husband, he couldn't get the time off of work. It actually went better than I expected (with the kids).

Will you have any family or friends to help you out or give you a break while your husband is gone?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My hubby goes away alot with work. We have a 5 year old daughter and a 2 yearold son and both children miss him but Hayden really pines while daddy is away. Routines are your friend in this situation, it keeps some order in the childrens life when such a big part is missing. Regular bed, bath, feeding, activities etc create order for my kids. We have a countdown calender and talk regularly about what is happening, where daddy is what he may be doing and when he will be back. We have an enlarged photo which the kids kiss each night and a mini family party when he returns. They always miss him and its difficult for me but we adjust, you will too!! Good luck!
    Cafeolait

Answer by Cafeolait at 5:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree with Cafeolait. Make a "Daddy Book." Put pictures of him in his uniform, of him at home, with DS, with you, of all of you together. Basically drive DH crazy with your camera. You could write a little story to read while looking at the pictures about how Daddy is working hard to take care of his family, how strong and brave Daddy is, how much he loves you, all sorts of positive things about Daddy. Look at the pictures and read your story every night before bed. Also, if you have a web cam, try to have regular calls so he sees and hears Daddy. Talk to DS about letting Daddy know what you two are up to. Take pictures of DS and let him help send them to Daddy, i.e. look at them and talk about them and how Daddy will love them, put them in the envelope, put them in the mailbox, etc. Keep Daddy in his thoughts, basically. Not that it won't be hard, but teach him to be proud and strong for his Daddy by leading the way.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• do you have friends and family who can help you out when you need them . then rely on them for a while until your husband gets back. b ut don't abuse of the situation too much. Just talk to your baby about daddy. Yes you both will miss daddy, but you'll be glad for when he gets home.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2009