3 week old throwing up alot

I have a 3 week old son. and when i feed him. he eats two ounces every 3 hours and he burps ok. but today he has been throwing it all up. coming outta his nose and all. and he doesnt seem like he is feeling too well. he has slept all day and not ate as much as he usually does. but everytime he eats he throws up. even hours and hours after he eats he is still throwing up. what should i do. should i see if he is better tomorrow or what?

a.whaley38401

Asked by a.whaley38401 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does he have wet diapers? How many per day?
    If he's throwing up every time you feed him you want to make sure he's not dehydrated.
    Does he have a fever?
    I would probably call the Dr.'s after hours number and speak with someone, just to be on the safe side. I always like to err on the side of caution with children that young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would bring him to the doctor if he's throwing up all of his feedings and now not eating as well. He's too young to wait and see... with the risk of dehydration from the vomiting. He might have a virus or could possibly have what is called pyloric stenosis. Either way... you should bring him in first thing in the morning... earlier if you notice signs of dehydration (no wet diapers, dry mouth, sunken soft spot... or he appears much more sleepy than normal or develops a fever)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• call a nurse... he could easily get dehydrated so you need to be careful.... and make sure you burp him after every feeding it can make it worse if he dont get the air out of his tummy ......if you hear him grunt pick him up and try to burp him.... it always worked for me my children would grunt like they are not sleeping peaceful and i would pick them up right then and they would burp if i didnt they would throw up bad..... goodluck

Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 12:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• he has bout 8 to 10 wet diapers a day. he has been alot sleepier. & no fever i dont think. my hubby is gonna go get a thermometer after work.
    a.whaley38401

Answer by a.whaley38401 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• take baby to the dr. better safe than sorry.
    BeccasSky

Answer by BeccasSky at 2:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• it might be reflux. my son was horrible. spit up alot it seemed like every bottle he threw at least half of it up. it ended up being acid reflux for babies. ask the dr if it could be that. they put my son on zantac.
    a.whaley38401

Comment by a.whaley38401 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010