west at home (do you know about them?)

have you worked with them before? have you had any problems? what was it like working with them?

*Interested in working from home and I came across their website.*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's a Call Center. The experience that I have tells me to stay away from any call center environment. It's bad enough when you work at the site, but working from home... EEK! You HAVE to have a quiet environment with no interruptions. YOU ARE monitored continually. This means, although you work at home, you cannot have any interruptions by dogs or kids. If they hear that, you are gone. Just because you do work at home, does not mean you can NOT have a babysitter. You will need to do something with your kids. It specifically says NO OUTSIDE interference whatsoever. Basically locked in a private, quiet room for so many hours. Calls centers are awful. You get to take the brunt of everyone's anger. You are yelled at, sworn at, etc. and YOU CANNOT HANG UP. This is the fun part. Remember, someone is ALWAYS listening into your calls. The way you handle a call determines if you keep your job or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I've also heard that it's a scam...I DO NOT know that as fact. Just hear say...so sorry if I'm spreading rumors...I haven't really heard anything but scam about most work form home jobs. I ended up going with a business after months of research and checking with BBB.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• They aren't a scam...but it's hard to get hours...let alone keep them. So you end up checking everyday for hours to work...with no luck. That's my experience. When you do get hours...it's not bad. You just have to have a very quiet place to work...it's not such a great idea to have kids in the back crying, fighting, yelling...whatever...even dogs barking...while you're taking someones order or helping with customer service. You may also deal with mobile phone service, sears repair calls, flower orders... or upset customers. NOT FUN! I started working for scentsy instead. If you're interested let me know. I'm happy to help with any questions.

http://www.scentsy.com/my2scents
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 11:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Its a REAL work at home JOB, the competition is feirce but you should never let anyone get in the way of your families needs or even your curiosity just to know what its like to have a JOB at home.

If you have a skill that you can sell, be an expert and advice others. I do it on the side http://www.liveperson.com/emma-weekly Im in the medical library catagory.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I had looked into call centers, but like someone else mentioned before you can't have ANY outside noise. That wouldn't work for me considering children are around and obviously they're going to make noise. I work from home with other Moms! I love what I do and more importantly we're all Moms and it's okay to have our children in the background. I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 8 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You can also try HomeCareerSuccess.com in the forum, there are many others like west.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I haven't heard anything bad about them but, its hard to get work, I've been employed with them for almost a year but no work, if you fail one of the test its hard to get back on so I went on to try to different avenues because the first time, they kicked me out of my training and it was right at the time when I was pregnant so. I've been working at home for over a year and I've been able to find some successful jobs working at home as an independent contractor, I got some information through this site and I've gotten a lot of help try visiting the site and give them a try, they may be able to help you out if your trying to build your own business, I know they've help me. :)
    http://www.wahmjobfinder.com/livelonger
    WAHMLivingHappy

Answer by WAHMLivingHappy at 11:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Just like any other job, there's good and bad. I worked for West three years prior to getting the full time job I have now. I'm in the process of working for them again (for some extra money) and I start my Call Certification Exam tomorrow. There's huge threads over at wahm and workplacelikehome.

They pay on time and If hired you will have the opportunity to handle many different clients/lines.

Before I left, i handled a medical line (can't remember the name), an infommercial account, a major pizza chain, a popular network shopping channel and a national cell phone company.

As far as having to work in a quite environment, the answer is yes. HOWEVER there are noise reduction headphones that will work just fine. And if that doesn't work, try to get hours that are convenient for you and your family :-P

Yes you may have to stalk for hours or pick up hours/lines that others may not want.

Good Luck!
    momeepreneur

Answer by momeepreneur at 10:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009