Weird breathing

I have been a mommy for a total of 6 days and do not know if I am being an overly concerned new parent or if I have something to worry about.

Normally, I wouldn't post a question like this on a message board but I have already seen my baby's pediatrician.

My baby, Jacob, does this weird breathing thing where it looks like he's swallowing over and over again and it seems like he's unable to catch his breath. Finally, when he catches his breath he seems to be gasping, sometimes even wheezing. This only lasts for a few seconds, sometimes longer and sometimes shorter than others.

When we took Jacob in for his first doctor's visit this past Monday he happened to do it in front of the pediatrician, so the doctor was able to see it first hand. He said it looked like Jacob has reflux. Later that day when we got home Jacob did it again but it seemed to last longer than usual, which really freaked my hubby and I out. We c

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 2:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't stress first off! Your baby will pick up on it and be stressed himself.  Your question is cut off so I will answer about the reflux. My 6 month old DD has reflux she did the deep breathing and wheezing for about the first 2 months. Then that stopped happening then she started throwing up at about 21/2 months old. We took her to the Dr and they put her on Prilosec. They can also put them on Prevacid . She is doing better with the medicine. If we miss a dose she spits up a lot. If you don't feel comfortable with your Dr's opinion go get a second opinion.

paisleypaint

Answer by paisleypaint at 2:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2009