Advice needed here Moms for a child whom is 5 yrs old and..........

Occasionally wets MY bed as well as theirs.

Seriously, would like to know what would you do if your fully potty trained child, got up in your bed though they have their own, falls asleep again and wets YOUR bed? Sheets, mattress, blankets?

My child has done this several times after being told, when you wake up in the night, GO potty. Don't come in my room and IN my bed again. Ever. Cause you pee on it.

Here I am up at near 3 am washing my things cause my mattress is soaked in one area I had to clean with a few towels and cleaning agents!!!!!!!!! Great!!! And Im to be up at 6:30am to get him off to school by 8.

I have a routine where I wake them up before 11pm-12 am to GO pee cause they sleep so heavily they never wake up on their own.....I had such a headache earlier I fell asleep before 9:30PM myself and did not set the alarm to wake them if I did.

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OP here

I should state I give nothing to drink after 7:30PM-8PM as bedtime is 8:30pm some times 9.
    And I make them go potty again before getting into bed.

Thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Some children wet their beds longer than others. This problem can occur until puberty. My advice would be to buy mattress protectors (you can get ones that are soft and absorb alot of liquid) just place on top of their sheets and yours (just incase.) Whip them off when your child has an accident then replace with a clean one. No change of sheets!! This is normal for some children and you need to make sure they know that. Dont tell them off, its not their fault, the part of the brain that alerts as to when they need to go just isn't finished developing yet. Be kind as they are sure to already feel insecure about this. They will out grow this, it will just take time and patience.
    Cafeolait

Answer by Cafeolait at 5:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Buy pullups. Some kids just sleep through it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You cant make a child wake up when they have to pee. Some of them just dont have the concept yet and sleep through it. I dont let my 5 year old sleep in my bed with me so the thought of you not letting him in your bed doesnt bother me. What makes me kinda sad is that you dont let him sleep with you because of something that he cant control, that seems a little sad to me. My 5 year old still wears pull-ups at night and I dont see him growing out of them anytime soon. But it doesnt bother me... I know it will come with him! They make pull-up type diapers for kids up to like 100 pounds so it obviously isnt that uncommon for them to wet the bed
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Have you discussed this with your child's doctor? So children have medical problems and can't control it. My friends son (many years ago) had a device he slept with and it woke him up when his bladder was full. Also you should invest in a mattress cover for water, it also helps.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 3:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Night accidents at 5 are normal for many kids BUT I would not allow them in my bed! LOL I have a 5 and 6 yr old. Although my 5 yr old rarely wets the bed my 6 year old does time to time. I do limit drinks after 7P just small sips of water. Some kids do not wake up which was my sons problem and if he sleeps deep he will not wake up.
    Anonymous

• Get a mattress cover for your bed and theirs.

Put them in pull-ups at night.

Take them to a pediatric urologist to check if there is a physical problem.

I can understand not wanting to have them in your bed, no one wants to wake up covered in urine or having to wash sheets every day, but this isn't a behavioral problem, so don't yell at them for it.

My 5yr old has 1-3 night accidents a month, but it is usually due to too much water before bed time. He knows that he is supposed to wash off in the tub and strip his bed for me; if it wakes him at night he knows to come get me so I can get him back to bed ASAP.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Also, both of my children have mattress covers (bedwettingstore.com or JC Penny).
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Stop letting him into your bed, when he gets up to go pee, and instead goes into your bed, if he can't get into your bed, he may redirect to the bathroom then. Now he has just formed a new habit.. try locking your door, as weird as that sounds.. try it for a night.
    GraceOfMyHeart

Answer by GraceOfMyHeart at 3:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009