Advice needed .....I've got a 5 yr old child that.......

Occasionally wets MY bed as well as theirs.

Seriously, would like to know what would you do if your fully potty trained child, got up in your bed though they have their own, falls asleep again and wets YOUR bed? Sheets, mattress, blankets?

My child has done this several times after being told, when you wake up in the night, GO potty. Don't come in my room and IN my bed again. Ever. Cause you pee on it.

Here I am up at near 3 am washing my things cause my mattress is soaked in one area I had to clean with a few towels and cleaning agents!!!!!!!!! Great!!! And Im to be up at 6:30am to get him off to school by 8.

I have a routine where I wake them up before 11pm-12 am to GO pee cause they sleep so heavily they never wake up on their own.....I had such a headache earlier I fell asleep before 9:30PM myself and did not set the alarm to wake them if I did.

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OP here

Also needed to state I give nothing to drink after 7:30 pm-8pm and occasionaly they'll pee. It's rare but so frustrating. I make them go again before bedtime which is 8:30PM.

Thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Usually kids that wet the bed are just having problems controlling their bladder; however, encouragement and positiveness are best. It's not good to add stress to the situation, kids that wet the bed often feel ashamed, embarrassed, and bad for it...I wouldn't scold him. But I would by some good nights for kids. They are like pullups but for kids that wet the bed. At least it would help with the problem at hand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Look into medication for it. He may have a medical problem.
    My cousin had the same thing. His whole family seemed to have a small bladder and use the bathroom much more than most.
    As for the waking up thing. You might want to phase that out. It trains the body to keep up the behavior. Their bodies get into the routine of peeing at a certain time of night and it keeps that up whether they are on the toilet or not. My aunt did the same with her son and she STILL was waking him up to pee in the night when he was 15, 16, 17... His body never adjusted to holding it all night. He is 21 now and sets an alarm to wake him up at a certain time of night, otherwise....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i don't have a child that age, no experience. but i had a dog who would jump on my bed and pee. not as only to do that, but still. i have heard that it is the 'be dominant male' thing.
    i could try to work on my child respect and attitude overall, behavior etc. have you noticed anything of concern for that?
    i also think giving him/her some of a bit drying him/her out liquid, insted of none, might help - try regular tea, a spoon or more depending upon his/her habits, treat like a remedy. icoffein in it could make the alert. try to give much ahead of time. you never know what your child drinks when you are asleep, right?
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 3:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yes. Don't blink. This time will be gone before you know it and you will wish for the time back when you were bitching about sheets. Just put a pallet on the floor in your room by your bed. That is your child's back up bed. If they need to come in your room, that is the special place for them to sleep, no matter if they pee or not. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree about the Goodnights. Used to use them.

It is so frustrating cause my child woke up enough to get into MY bed.....just not outside our doors to go potty and wet my bed instead.

Just hate to revert back to the Pull-ups..or Good Nights. He last used them when he was 3 and visiting grandparents out of town. I had a weak bladder to as a child but was a heavy sleeper like my child! What a great thing to inherit....LOL

Thank you for replying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Baby, a child is not a dog. They don't get "trained" for sleep pee. OMG. You have NO experience with kids do you? Dominence?????? Oh for the love of pete.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Oh Lords... I would hate for him to be 15 and Im still setting the alarm to wake him.

If I am up late on off nights I tend to wake him when ever to go pee......but he has gotten water from the faucet before when he wakes up or in the tub before he gets out which is WHY I make him go potty again before bed, an hour after his bathtime.

He is one where he will hold it if he is playing a game and has those few accidents cause playing was more fun the taking the few minutes to come in to go pee or if I allow him 30 minutes on the PC to play his learning games........he can have that accident right here too. Holding himself.

His pediatrician once before said he was fine bladder wise cause he has gone all night many times without getting up at all and staying dry all night.

I still say it's weak.......or he just has these flareup...or flare OUTS with the peeing. I HATE plastic sheet covers cause they make me sweaty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Could he be coming down with something? I have a son who only wet the bed when he was about to get sick.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We've had quite the change in temps here where we live from being really warm a few days ago to now being in the 40's!

AND he said earlier today after school his belly hurt, yet he ate a huge plate of Spaghetti and 3 Mozzerella sticks I had made the night before just before bed.

I'll see what he says in the morning. Just hate him to miss any more school, he loves it and loves his teacher whom is awesome...... but if kids are sick they are sick.

Thanks everyone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2009