School zones for high schools? Preventing natural selection?

What do you think about roads going by high schools having school zones? Is this the same everywhere? You have to drive under 20mph going by high schools?

Personally I think we're just messing with natural selection a little too much now days! If by high school you don't know how to cross a road with out being hit by a car something is wrong and maybe the gene pool would be better off with out you.

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 3:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I thought it was funny. People on this site have no sense of humor.
    I really hadn't noticed if there are speed limits near the high schools around here.
    I know when I was in college the speed limit around campus was 25mph and there was this one street that cut of the main campus from half of the housing and the stadium and it was treacherous to cross. There was a hill leading up to campus, people sped like crazy on the road and the kids never used the cross walks.
    I was in class when we found out one of our classmates had been hit by a car on the way to class that morning, crossing that street. She wasn't the only one that week.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Gosh what a stupid thing to say. There should be school zones near all schools to prevent stupid people from driving too fast and hurting a kid. Kids in high school are still kids. :( Hopefully you won't feel this "natural selection" thing about your own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If she's 14 and hasn't learned to use a cross walk. Half the kids in HS are drivers themselves yet we don't think they know cars go fast and hurt when they hit you?

I'm all for it near elementary and middle schools, but it just seems overboard for high school.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'm sure your attitude will change when your child is in high school.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It's not just to keep them from getting hit. It's also to make it possible for people to get in and out of the school. At our schools, if people didn't have to slow down to 20 mph, you'd never be able to turn into the school, or turn out of it, b/c the cars would just keep coming and coming and coming.

With that said, I completely disagree with you. This has nothing to do with natural selection. Anyone can make a mistake (not paying enough attention or something) or have poor depth perception; it doesn't mean they deserve to die.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i'm sorry but this is funny, i can see what you mean, if you aren't smart enough to NOT cross a road with a bunch of cars coming (or when the light is NOT red) then I SERIOUSLY question your intelligence.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 7:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It's not about if these kids can cross the road/crosswalk correctly or not. It's about letting the public traffic know that there is a school zone ahead and to slow down so they don't plow into a bunch of kids walking to school or coming home from school. Also, in high school, you have new teenage drivers, I mean hello there. Yeah I know how teenagers can be, been there but they are still KIDS.There are school zones here for all schools, not just elementary.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The college kids around here (huge college) don't use the cross walks. They don't stop and look ..they just dart into the street. The know VERY well that they have the right of way (cross walks or not) and if you don't stop you will get ticketed. I have seen several accidents because when they just dart out into the road the driver slams on their brakes causing the people behind them to do the same. Ugh. I hate driving on that road.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• 20 MPH? Here, it's 15. But I suspect that if there weren't a school zone, the buses would never make it out of the parking lot. There's not a lot of pick-up in a bus. Plus, the bus drivers would all break their absurdly long plastic fingernails trying to shift that fast.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• That is the safest place to drive in my town. Especially if you just have gotten your license. This is a very unusual question, but nonetheless definitely something to think about. By the way, my friend had an accident right in front of the high school with all the 20 mph signs and barricades, so sometimes even that does not help with so many bad drivers out there.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2009