When shld spanking start?

mj.mania

Asked by mj.mania at 3:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Before one is DEFINETLY too young!! Your baby will not understand. If you must spank do it when they are old enough to get the concept and understand you when you tell them no. That would be around 4 or 5 YEARS old.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Not really before 18 months.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You look very young. I guess here is another example of a teen mother looking to abuse her baby. He is a BABY. PLEASE if you do nothing else learn about child development. Your son is WAY WAY too young to understand why you are hitting him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I my son is 3 and had definitely known the difference between right and wrong and what no means since he was 2; so I really don't know what ANON 3:07 is talking about. And ANON 3:09 is just being a bitch. I would say 18mth is fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• *Rolling eyes* @ anon 1:09AM
    I think waiting till you child can truely understand. Before 2 is too young I think. We started when dd was 2 1/2 and she only gets spanked when she does something that can endanger her, that way she really understands that what she did was NOT okay. I think if you spank for little thinks the things that really matter wont matter to them. Remember it's our job as parents to teach so thy saying no first and when they are young you may to say NO 5000 times. They are still learning what no means. Timeouts work well after the first year. It's recommended that you do one minute of time out for every year. So if the child is 3, they get 3 minutes of timeout. This works pretty well with dd. If that does not work, then maybe spanking is the next step. Good luck. As parents we make choices on how we raise our kids and not everyone agrees on the wrong and right ways to do so.
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 3:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• sorry for my stumble fingers :P
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 3:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Ya know if so sick an tired of ppl thinkin being a teen mom means your a bad mom! i wish some old ppl would grow the hell up! im 23 i had my 1st baby when i was 17 an now i have 3 wonderful boys! so yes i was a teen mom! anyways op i would not spank til the baby is atleast 18 months!! gl
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 7:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Never, there are better ways of raising children, there is no need to use violence as a way to communicate with anyone, especially not a child.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Never. It doesn't teach children good behavior. Like Cynthje says there are better ways of raising children. While your baby is young you have a chance to read books, take parenting classes, go to conferences, whatever it takes to learn how to be an effective parent.

Using punishments like spanking, time outs, taking things away, grounding, ect. are part of authoritarian parenting. Mothers are on cm all the time saying they do these things and it doesn't work and they don't know what to do. That's because authoritarian parenting is not an effective style of parenting. At best it will stop bad behavior in some children.

Authoritative is the best style of parenting. These parents have rules and know how to enforce them without resorting to punishment. Parents are happy, kids thrive and are well behaved.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Why should spanking start at all? It certainly isn't a necessary punishment, and it teaches your child that it is ok to hit.
    crystees_mom

Answer by crystees_mom at 9:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009