Is threatening to kill someone illegal? (piog)

So we live in a duplex and our neighbor is a little.... nuts. Has anger issues. So anyway hubs and I dont see each other much he works full time and is a full time student. Tonight we were having sex and I was trying to be quiet but anyway at the very end our neighbor screamed through the wall "SHUT UP SHUT THE F*** UP i'LL F****ING KILL YOU!!" He has yelled at me before for the dogs being loud, he yelled through the wall at them the same type of thing at 8 am they were in the kennel in the front room for 5 minutes and whined cuz hubs went outside to help me and the girls into the car and came back in as he was screaming that time. We moved their kennel to another part of the house, the neighbor screamed at me about it in front of some friends a couple days later. Anytime they have had any issues we have done what we can to fix it, Like I said hubs is gone a lot so the dogs are here to help me feel safe and one we got as a

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 3:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• comfort animal for our 2 year old cuz our baby is really sick and I am in and out of the hospital and go to a lot of Dr's appts with her so getting rid of them is outta the question. Anyway I am really shaken up he freaked me out bad yelling that at us. They have our house and cell numbers could have called or even banged on the wall and we would have gone to another room so they couldnt hear us. I intend to call the landlord in the morning because that is crossing the line. Anyway is make death threats like that illegal, should I involve the police? I am totally freaked out we have two small children and I am here with them alone A LOT. Hubs wants to get a gun I think I am with him now, in case I ever need to protect me and the kids. What should I do? Just call the landlord and let him handle it? I am afraid if they got evicted that he would try and exact some revenge on us or something.... Anyway I am totally freaked out
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 3:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Call the cops and report it. Make sure you document everything.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would think that someone else would have had to hear it, otherwise it's just your word against his right?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'd definitely talk to the landlord about it though.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Well it was me AND my hubbyl... I wasnt loving on myself lol. Anyway thanks I am so afraid of pissing him off even more by calling the cops tonight... gaaaaaaah especially if there is nothing they can do.... And his wife has our numbers or they could have just banged on the wall. Not too mention all the nights they have been SCREAMING at each other and woken up our kids and I have calmly talked to his wife the next day and asked her to try to not be so loud at night. SHIT this sucks
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 3:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It's enough to get a restraining order so I would say yes it's illegal in some way. I would def call cops and see what they say
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• LOL, I know it was you and DH... but I don't know if that counts as a witness cuz of course your DH and you will both say that he said it.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Hahahaha just wanted to make sure everyone was clear it wasnt me and my rabbit......... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok anyway that is a good point blue... gah stupid crazy neighbors!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 3:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If you can record the threats then you have evidence. or even call while he is screaming then there is an outreach witness. I too would be worried that whether you report him or not it would esclate further. As it seems to be escalating anyway and you need some peace of mind and comfort that you are trying to prevent it from reaching a physical level.
    The only problem I see though is how you could prove it was you he was screaming at and not his wife or something in his house.. . I mean im not saying he didn't direct it toward you but he might could "claim" he was yelling at a video game or something.. I have had a neighbor do that once.. The cops busted him in that lie though cause he didn't even have a game system in the house.. I wish you the best of luck hun and you may have to talk to the landlord and the police to get him to stop. You said his wife was no help already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• When your lease is up you should move to a different apartment. I would talk to the manager about getting out of the lease or moving to a different unit. This neighbor would scare me too. Especially with having children. I would definitely move
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 7:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009