When to have the "birds & the bees" talk

So my 4 yo son is obsessed with babies & pregnant women lately. Every time he sees a pregnant lady he says "I just don't get it mom, how does a baby get int here& how does it breathe? Doesn't it get hot in there?" I think he knows I am putting him of as I have said to him "That's a good question, I'll have to look that one up son." I don't want to go into too much detail with him as he seems to like to repeat EVERYTHING we tell him lately in regards to some other things he has asked about. I don't want to lie & tell him about the stork or anything like that. Where is a good starting point?

etropic1

Asked by etropic1 at 3:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I told my 3yr old God gave us the baby and only girls can have babies because our bodies are made just right so that the baby is kept safe and warm. If you don't believe in God I would just give him a simple explanation. It won't take much to satisfy his questioning about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/feelings/sex.html#

"What do you tell a very young child who asks where babies come from?
    Depending on the child's age, you can say that the baby grows from an egg in the mommy's womb, pointing to your stomach, and comes out of a special place, called the vagina. There is no need to explain the act of lovemaking because very young kids will not understand the concept.

However, you can say that when a man and a woman love each other, they like to be close to one another. Tell them that the man's sperm joins the woman's egg and then the baby begins to grow. Most kids under the age of 6 will accept this answer. Age-appropriate books on the subject are also helpful. Answer the question in a straightforward manner, and you will probably find that your child is satisfied with a little information at a time."
    Beichan

Answer by Beichan at 4:48 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My daughter was birth obsessed for a while...so we got on YouTube and watched dogs, cats, hamsters, mice...etc., giving birth. She was fascinated and not grossed out. I told her mommies gave birth like that after they grew the baby in their tummy from and egg. i didn't go into the whole bit...and she never asked.
    char944

Answer by char944 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Answer the questions he asks as simply as you can.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I told my son at three that daddy and mommy wanted to have a baby so God helped them to make one and put it in mommy's tummy to grow strong enough to come out.. Tot he how does the baby get out question I answered: that Mommy's go to the hospital for the doctors to help the baby to come out. He never asked any more on the subject. I will do a full on talk on mechanics when he is about 8 or 9 and then go more into the emotional side of it when he is 11 or 12. Until then I will answer his questions as simply as he will allow.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Answer what you're comfortable answering....and tell him "we'll talk about that when you're a little older, I promise" for the questions you're not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2009