What do you say to a Jehovah's Witness when they sneeze?

My husband works with a Jehovah's Witness, and she gives him a dirty look every time he says "God bless you". What you would you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd just say bless you, instead.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'd say nothing when she sneezes if she is truly offended.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• She gives him a dirty look when he says "bless you", also. I think she's just generally an unpleasant person, myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• perhaps it has nothing to do with religion, but more just being embarrassed. I know a few people that get embarrassed by sneezing, and get uncomfortable when someone says "bless you".
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The origin of saying bless you when you sneeze is pagan. so, that may be why she doesn't like it? I guess he just should say anything when she sneezes.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would keep saying what I wanted too. Christians are taught tolerance of other religions so a JW should also respect this.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• she might pee every time she sneezes and that is where the look comes from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses. My spiritual sister is aware that saying 'Bless you' after sneezing is based on supertition which we wouldn't want to support in any way (Isaiah 65:11). I'm sorry if she appears bitter when your hubby says Bless you', though. That's a shame. If she is particularly bothered by it, just stop saying anything. Afterall saying 'Bless you' after sneezing is a simple knee jerk reaction for most and they don't actually mean they are requesting God to bless the sneezer, thinking them possibly ill with the plague :D Personally, if someone says Bless you to me don't say anything but wouldn't give them a 'dirty look' either. It's well intentioned even if I don't want to be involved in it. Like if someone says Merry Christams to me. I just says thanks. Just ask your hubby not to mind her not sharing his ideas and just stop saying Bless you to her. After all he's hoping to me nice toward her isn't he. xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 8:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If your husband knew where the term "God bless you" came from in using it after a sneeze, he'd understand how foolish it is to say it to anyone, JW or not.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• EireLass, please enlighten me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2009