Can a Manicure/pedicure put you into labor??

I have heard this or has anyone had this happen to them??? Did your Doctor let you get one?? I do mean this question while you all were pregnant...

ToberzMama

Asked by ToberzMama at 8:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• There are pressure points on your ankles that will supposedly put you into labor so they say you shouldn't have one during your third trimester but when I was a week overdue I figured I wasn't in my third trimester anymore I was in my fourth! So I had a pedi in hopes of kicking off labor with no results other than some cute toes.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 8:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• No, a manicure or pedicure can't put you in labor. The fumes from the chemicals aren't great for you. If you are going to have one it would be best to have it in a well ventilated area. Nail polish has formaldehyde and other chemicals. Some people are allergic to formaldehyde.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Along with what psugal says, if you find someone trained to do these procedures on pregnant women, they know what to avoid doing. I got them every 2 weeks once I was too big to bend over and do them myself up to the day I delievered.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Something I never knew. Another interesting question question. I once had a root canal a few days earlier and while I was getting a pedicure, my whole face started to go numb. It was the one and only time that ever happened to me. At first I thought it was the vibration from the masage chair but I will bnever how relieved I was after the numbness went away from my mouth. This happened over 10 years ago and never happened again.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Nope, my daughter in law and I went and pedicures so her toes would look pretty while giving birth - and we wanted the pampering - and it was 3 weeks or so until she had the baby. At the time she had been having contractions off and on for at least a week too.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I had a mani/pedi every 2 weeks while I was pregnant with my first and plan on doing it again with this one....My doctor said if it makes you happy and feel beautiful that is the only thing that matters right now....I got a mani/pedi on my due date and was induced a week later so no i dont believe that it can make you go into labor
    beaugrl0824

Answer by beaugrl0824 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yes, I am a massage therapist and if the trigger points in your hands and feet are cont. massage's it is possible to start labor. I started a ladies labor two years ago by doing her feet. You really have to know where the trigger points are but they can be hit by accident if someone is not careful and also if they do not know where those points are. I am not sure how much training they have on that in beauty school.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2009