Seen this on the news. Its a growing problem about teens who cut themselves....

Why??? An illness or a spoiled brat trying to get attention??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was a cutter and for me-it was a way to punish myself for things I did/didn't do as a teen for instance I didn't clean something right and mom came home and yelled or got pissy because it wsn't done right...I would cut because I "deserved it" lucky for me-I stopped without therapy or anything I think it served a purpose for awhile then I didn't need it anymore. My daughter is a cutter now- though with therapy she has come a LONG way. she hadn't cut in months-but we have been really broke and I had to stop taking her and it has been 3 months...she cut again last week. I cried. she doesn't do it to "be cool" or whatever in fact usually a cutter will hide the cuts. She came to me and showed/told me last week that she'd done it agian or I owuld not have known.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You don't know shit about why people cut themselves. STFU.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I have a teenage sister and she is a cutter (she has lots of other underlining issues too). its a mental illness. some people eat, some people spend money....... Why do they do it? Its just like any other depression tick.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Well the first response really didn't answer your question. I think it is a growing problem. For most people myself included (I'm reformed now and don't do it) it is a way to physically manifest and release pain stress and emotional and mental anguish. It times like this where families are becoming more and more stressed out parents don't always see the effects it is having on their kids. This is a way the can exert control with their emotions. Now this doesn't apply to everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• There is a cause/group called
    To write love on her arms- a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for those struggling with depression, adiction, self-injury and suicide

"You were created to love and be loved. You were meant to live life in relationship with other people, to know and be known. You need to know that your story is important and that you're part of a bigger story. You need to know that your life matters. "

today is National To Write Love On Her Arms day to support the cause. Both my daughter and I did henna tattoos of the word love on our arms last night.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Im with Anon :23 I was a cutter up until I was about 20 (started at 13 when a close friend committed suicide). It was like a release of all the bottled up emotions I was having, it was a way to let the anger about whatever was going on out.. almost like screaming into a pillow, or having a 'good cry' but better and faster. It was never about attention, no one knew I did it for years because I kept them covered or cut in places no one would see anyways.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Why would you say a spoiled brat?
    You dont really understand.
    I had done it in high school
    It was the only thing that at the time made me feel better for beign abused and raped
    Noone ever knew I did it. Noone knows even now that I did it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I used to cut as well but haven't in over 2 years. For me it was to feel something anything other than the painful emotional pain I was feeling at the time. I too stopped without therapy etc... My son is only 5 right now but if he ever ventures down the path I did I will be here for him and get him help to get through it. Everyday my scars on my arms remind me that I HAVE and CAN make it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Cutting has been happening for MANY years. I am 34 now, and when I was a kid, I grew up in the foster care system. Almost all girls I came across were cutters. They weren't all mental people, some just needed the extra attention, because they were so abused, they didn't know which end was up. Others cut because seeing themselves bleed let them know they were still alive. In my experience, cutters come from abusive homes. There are some who simply do it to be "cool", but I don't see anything cool about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my neice cuts. she is not a spoiled brat, and it's not for attention. it's like an illness. it's a result of depression. my neice has no self esteem and a mom that is neglectful. She tries to hide it, but sometimes we can see the cuts when she's not paying attention. We've tried to get her help, but she denies it, so it's not for attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2009