Sports on Sunday?

My son plays football in a "private" league ie-not funded through the local recreation center, government. We have our championship game on Sunday. The initial hand outs do state that games may be played on Sunday. There is a group of parents that want the challenge the league to not hold games on Sundays as their kids can not play on Sunday due to religious reasons. What are your thoughts on this? I am conflicted and interested in hearing many points of view. Please share yours...

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If it is one game I don't see the harm. Our state tourny games are sometimes held on Sundays do to availability of the fields. Will god punish son if he plays one game on Sun.? Does god want your child to have the learning experience of working as part of a team? Is there a lesson playing in a championship game? Is it worth this uproar for one game? Can your child miss one day of church, etc for this game?

I guess you have to decide what is more important lesson. Once you let your child make the commitment to being part of a team you need to teach that commitment to others is important. What about any Jewish kids that might want to play. If your league is usually on a Saturday then they have always been excluded.

The rest of the word functions on Sunday as well, you have to decide if you want your child to integrate into society or pull back from it. Perhaps this is a good lesson in balancing it all.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If they have a problem with their children playing sports on sundays, then they can pull them out, it's that simple. I'm sooo tired of EVERY organization making acceptions to the minority beliefs, it's annoying
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My personal thoughts are that if the majority of kids can not participate, and come out with different dates/times for the games, that are acceptable for everyone else, they should change it. However if the different times/days they want are not acceptable for others, then it should stay the same. I never played sports on Sundays growing up and usually I was fine with there being games on Sundays, but every once in a while I heard people saying "oh we can play Saturday, Sunday (or even Monday/Friday during holidays) but I just happened to stick the game on the Sunday.....in instances like that where no one really cares, why not put it on a day where more people can participate?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'm on the fence with this issue. On one hand I don't think it should be changed just for the parents personal beliefs, but on the other hand, having a game on Sunday could really hurt some of the teams, especially if they are missing their best players. I dont think the team should suffer because of the parents beliefs and it seems the only way to have them not suffer, would be to change the day of the game
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'm a Christian and i think the game should go on. The parents who have an issue should look for a league that doesn't have Sunday games. Is it every Sunday or just for the championship game? If it's just for the one game then it shouldn't be changed.
    Anonymous

• It is not fair to make a whole system change simply because a few people are different. Just pull the kid out if it's a hassle.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009