Is anyone else shocked by this? 90% induced at the hospital here!

many before their due dates.

i met my doula yesterday and we got along great!

but she told me the hospital here induces 90% of moms! wow! she is part of a group working with the health dept to at least get the rates way down for people before their due dates. we both agreed that getting it way down for before 42 weeks would be the ultimate but with this going on, they have to start small. many babies are being born at "38 weeks" looking more like 35 weeks and having serious problems.

well i'm one who thinks the induction rate should be less than 5% and only when medically necessary....

i'm 99% sure i will go to a hospital an hour away for many many reasons. a major one being that it can be difficult to get your natural birth here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did you know that if you & baby are healthy~ you're having a normal pregnancy, you can have a safer experience at home?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• oh yea i agree! i considered that but decided for many reasons to do hospital. i did have a good experience at a hosp w/ my first but we have since moved and the hospitl here is majorly intervention-happy/ :( not like my old hosp at all.

i have an apt to see a midwife (CNM) at a practice of midwives in a city an hour away. i have talked to many moms (online) who have had great experiences there, no IVs or heplocks, no monitoring, laboring in water, etc. i think i can have a positive experience there.

a few of my reasons i decided against homebirth are 1) illegal for the midwife here (state doesn't licence professional midwives), 2) cost (insurance won't cover and even though it would be about $3000 that is far more than a hospital birth would be & we're broke unfortunately), 3) my husband is very very uncomfortable with the idea (i know my comfort is top, but i was very comfortable with my hospital birth before)

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It's a huge problem. The only hospital in my home town advertises that it has an over 90% epidural rate. The brochure said something like. "don't worry, we believe in epidurals." There would be moms that would have other forms of anesthia like spinals and the moms like me that CAN'T have an epidural due to spinal abnormalities. So it would seem the only moms that would have an unmedicated births would be the ones that got there with the baby's head already out!

I had my first baby when I lived in that town in 1979. It wasn't much better then. I worked there as a medical technologist, so I knew what went on. I traveled almost an hour to a hospital with a birth center and a CNM. I had a birth with no interventions, just what I wanted. Everyone thought I was crazy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The hospital here in my town likes to induce also. Their reasoning is bc they have 2 OB Dr's and they want to induce before the women go into labor tbc the Dr's dont want to get called in in the middle of the night to deliver a baby and they are REALLY bad about wanting to do things their way as far as a birth plan and if you want to have the baby natural..I think it's stupid and I think you should let labor come naturally. Now I can understand a Dr wanting to induce if you pass 40 weeks bc you dont want the baby to get too big and there be problems, but they should'nt do it before then. I'm going to a town about an hour away for my Dr and hospital bc they let you do things your way and dont push to induce unless medically necessary.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• "Now I can understand a Dr wanting to induce if you pass 40 weeks bc you dont want the baby to get too big and there be problems, but they should'nt do it before then. I'm going to a town about an hour away for my Dr and hospital bc they let you do things your way and dont push to induce unless medically necessary."

i disagree with the first part, but agree with the 2nd, i am also going an hour away to have a good shot at a natural hospital birth. but i don't think induction should be done unless medically necessary and see 42 weeks as totally within the norm for human gestation :)

i can definitely see why OBs wouldn't want to be up all night every night but some things are more important. i think increasing options might help. like more midwives, and more homebirth midwives, and especially making them "legal" and covered by insurance. that would help so many OBs out, but at the same time so many OBs are anti. :(

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• you can actually go online and make sure you're getting accurate statistics for things like induction rate for your specific hospital. your ob can help you find it if you're having trouble. I just find it really hard to believe that 90% are induction. maybe its true, but you should always do your own homework and be skeptical. your doula has an angle (and your hospital will too) so try to find real data from third party sources. As long as you advocate for yourself, a hospital can't make you have an induction or an epi, etc. I also am very against inductions for most reasons, so I'm right there with you, just thought I'd let you know that there is a system of accountability with hospitals- it may help you feel good about the one you actually choose!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• thanks anon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I was induced at 38 weeks with my 3rd because they were concerned about size - she was only 7 lbs, 7 oz but my oldest was 8 lbs 9 oz and they had to break his shoulder to get him out of the birth canal because he was too large for me to be having vaginally. I also had 2 older boys with autism and needed to have a scheduled time to go in so I could prepare them and have responsible childcare - very few people were qualified to care for them. Induction works for some of us.

Answer by missanc at 10:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• sure i think induction is good in some cases, but very few, and no where near NINETY PERCENT! :) i also think c-sections are miraculous but more harm than good in many cases, and especially not needed in 45% of cases. (45% is the c-section rate at this hospital)

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i was induced and ended up with a c-section cause i wouldn't fully dialate. i believe i had a c-section cause i was induced. that is my opion though!
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 11:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2009