My 16 month old daughter is eating like crazy. She is off the bottle now and isnt really drinking milk. My husband is a little concerned about the amount of food she is eating, and it is kinda making me a little worried. She almost eats as much as I do in a sitting. For example this morning she ate a whole pancake, almost a half of banana and a whole thing of yogurt. She snackes during the day and will eat just as much at lunch and dinner. Is this normal??? I do give her vitamins.

KPlunk

Asked by KPlunk at 9:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could be a growth spurt. My five year old son eats more throughout a day than I do. As long as your daughter is active...and you are feeding her a balanced diet, I wouldn't worry about it too much. She needs to be drinking whole milk though until she's two. She needs the fat in her diet. My son's pediatrician had a hissy fit when I told him he refused milk. I fed him dairy products every day...mostly cheese. He drank fruit juice and water.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 10:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• that sounds like a fine amount to me
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You want to make sure the food she is eating is healthy. No more than 4-6 ounces of juice a day and no other drinks except water. She doesn't have to have any milk and should have only a max of 2 servings a day. She can get that from cheese, yogurt, ice cream, ect.

You don't want her to get too high on the growth chart. She could be so active she is burning lots of calories along with growing.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• She is growing! She is fine. Children also eat more when going through a growth spurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• This sounds normal to me too. Make sure her grains are whole grain though because it will fill her up better and give her way more nutrients. Try to cut out the white breads that have no nutritional value. I'm trying to do more of that myself.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• that sounds like about what my one year old son eats for breakfast - and he's a little thing! She's probably much more active than you (not a bash, just the truth that babies/toddlers tend to run around more, burning more calories than we do) and needs the calories. Make sure she's getting other high calcium foods to make up for the lack of milk. As long as she's eating healthy foods she should be fine!

Answer by missanc at 11:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• how big is she? tall and weight wise...

how active?

sleeping habits?

those are other factors to remember about their eating habits too.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• That's nothing compared to what my kids ate at that age. (two pancakes, whole banana, 8oz milk)

If you make sure she's eating a balanced diet, you can get rid of the vitamins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Good grief Gailll, do you always have to put in your 2 cents? The food she just described was HEALTHY! Good lord, you must be a lonely old bitty to have all day every day to talk smack here on cafemom.
    Anonymous

• I wish my daughter would eat like that. Every meal is a struggle.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2009