Jehovah's Witnesses. Can you answer a couple of my questions?

Are you allowed to talk about what goes on in church? What varies a JW from any other type of religion? What is it you believe in? What is your goal in going door to door on Saturday morning?

I'm asking because a great friend of mine was raised JW. She married a catholic and had a child who was baptized catholic. Her father is a minister with the JW church. He does not accept her nor her child. In order for him to talk with her she must become a member of the church again. Until things are final she is not allowed to talk with anyone a member of the church or outside the church. Her sister is a JW and she refers to her as "agent 99"to communicate with her. She is doing this for her family as her husband is opposed to it. Even after things are complete, her husband and child are not part of her.

I'm not bashing. Just curious as to why this is so important to her since she can't talk about it.

momtotrips

Asked by momtotrips at 10:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• See, now this is a question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Anonymous
    See, now this is a question.

So you don't like a direct, personalized question? Too bad. Stop trying to rule others.

To the OP. Great question. I'm not a JW, so I can't give you your answers. All I can say is WOW.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• She is a great friend that I have known for 22 years. I was never allowed in her house even when her parents were not home. Her dad found out she experimented with drinking when she was 18 and apparently shit hit the fan and he kicked her out. She has not returned to the church since then, and she is now 26. Last month she told me she had to go "undercover" and get back in her dad's good graces and she's not allowed to talk about anything. She has not spoken or seen me in a month. I saw her in a store yesterday, she looked at me but didn't acknowledge me. All she said was " I'm not allowed to speak to you". I am just really curious as to what goes on and why is everything so hush hush. Is it really that private or is she just making it to be that way.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i have the same situation, i was banned from the religion and my mom won't talk to me and i can't even go to their house because they believe the disfellowshipping is a loving arrangement, all it really does is trap the person knowing that if they really want to still be friends with some people and be able to talk to their family that they are stuck going back, it sucks honestly. im just so bitter i know what i said was a question, i asked how you feel about the religion to the stupid person who deleted my question....
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 10:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• This is a good question. I hope someone answers you. My husbands father's family is JW and because we had our wedding in a church he didn't attend it. It hurt my husband terribly. He also didn't attend my husbands mothers funeral for the same reason. They don't invite us to family gatherings either. We are Christians and unless we convert to JW we'll never be considered their family.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I was raised JW - as an Adult I'm Pagan, but I can answer most of your questions.

My mother and grandmother are JW. They talk about what goes on within the Kingdom Hall ALL THE TIME! There is no ban on it, in fact it's encouraged.

JW varies from the others because they do not believe in having any part of anything that originated outside the rule of their God beyond what is necessary to survive. They do not act in politics or military, because they believe the only true government is Gods. They do not celebrate holidays because ALL of them are either based in Pagan traditions or are based on a government other than that of their god. They do not accept blood because the bible says not to take it in. They believe that their religious convictions should rule their lives completely and that God should be put before anything and everything else.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Are you allowed to talk about what goes on in church? Yes

What varies a JW from any other type of religion? we dont believe in the trinity, we believe that the earth will become paradise after the end of this system.
    Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.”—Matthew 5:5
    The meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”—Psalm 37:11

What is your goal in going door to door? we are told to follow in Jesus' footsteps and he went door to door. as for the day, we go when we can. like i dont go on sat. because i work saturdays, but other days i do.

proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• 9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

this is what the bible says about disfellowship. sorry if theres errors in spelling. my little one is climbing all over me as i type.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• JWs follow their bible to a Tee in all they do. They hold the belief that Jesus was the son of God and came to earth in order to fulfill the Messianic Law held by the Jews. That he will return at Armageddon and destroy Satan and all evil. And that the dead will rise to live on an earthly paradise for one thousand years. At the end of which Satan will be let loose and those that choose to follow him will be destroyed with him (the second death). After which time everyone will live forever on a perfect earth.

I CAN back up their beliefs with scripture, I simply don't have the time to at the moment.

The reason they go Door to Door is because Jesus commanded that the minister. The original Christians went door to door and town to town - so they are continuing this work.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:48 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Why is the entrance and acceptance back into the church so secretive? Is there a specific reason she can't associate with anyone inside or outside the church, especially Catholics? Her father had such a sour disposition towards me because I was raised and baptized Catholic but never followed anything from the church. Is it just Catholics they dislike or all religions in general other than what the JW bible says?

Thanks so much for those answering.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2009