What are the Sunday Laws?

I've heard this mentioned a few times in the recent SDA questions. I searched Google and came up with references to existing blue laws and several fear mongering sites. Can you clarify?

anng.atlanta

Asked by anng.atlanta at 10:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know in my state there are lots of blue laws and they vary from county to county. For instance, in my county you are not allowed to purchase alcohol of any kind on Sunday and there are strict closing times for bars and clubs. And some counties are 'dry' counties, meaning you aren't allowed to purchase or sell alcohol there at ALL...and some even go so far as to forbid you having it on your person...even in the privacy of your own home. My state has even made it illegal to buy vibrators and other sex toys...you can't even order them and have them shipped to you. (This law is currently being fought in court by a brave woman that owns a few adult stores here in our state.)
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 10:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yeah there are blue laws in my state too. The only places that can sale alcohol on Sundays are restaurants that serve food and they can't sale it until after 12:30pm. And on Saturday nights all bars and clubs are not allowed to sale any after 1:50am.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Thanks mizkaye. We have blue laws here in GA, too. I gather from the posts "Sunday Laws" is something more extreme...
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Sunday Laws refer to a law that will require rest on Sunday (and penalize those who don't rest like SDA's). The closest the US ever came to enacting such a law was in the mid to late 1800's, it never passed, Blue Laws are similar.

SDA's, who are virulently anti-Catholic, view Sunday worship as the Pope's Sabath and those who don't work on Sundays and worship God on Sunday's have received the Mark of the Beast (dunn dunn dunn).

PricklyPear

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• SDA's believe the second coming is imminent, in fact they first thought it was going to happen
    October 22, 1844 then, when it didn't happen they had to reinvent their prophecy. The second coming has been "imminent" ever since.

PricklyPear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• "October 22, 1844 then, when it didn't happen they had to reinvent their prophecy. The second coming has been "imminent" ever since."

considering how long humans have roamed the earth...180yrs (give or take a few months) kinda does seem like a very short time.

:)))

DevilsAdvocate
    Anonymous

• Sunday laws are laws that have no basis outside of religious rules.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• "considering how long humans have roamed the earth...180yrs (give or take a few months) kinda does seem like a very short time. "

So SDA's are also young-earthers?

PricklyPear
    Anonymous

• SDA's, who are virulently anti-Catholic, view Sunday worship as the Pope's Sabath and those who don't work on Sundays and worship God on Sunday's have received the Mark of the Beast (dunn dunn dunn). -------------------

"Virulently" implies hatred. I am very anti-Catholic establishment, but feel no ill-will towards individuals who practice Catholicism. I am vehemently opposed to the compromise of truth and paganism. But then, so is God! ( His people are warned throughout the Bible not to worship as the Pagans do.)

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Virulent was the proper word to use because I wasn't trying to imply that SDA's hate Catholics, I was stating it as fact.

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck then it's a DUCK!

PricklyPear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2009