3-year-old attacks another 3-year-old with a tire iron while left unattended in locked car. Should victims parents be compensated?

LONDON – A young boy who was attacked by his 3-year-old playmate with a car jack can claim compensation from a British government body that helps crime victims, lawyers said Friday.

Jay Jones needed stitches to his face and spent two days in the hospital in 2007 after another toddler struck him 11 times on the head, lawyers representing the injured boy's family said in a statement. The two boys, both 3 years old at the time of the attack, were left unattended in a locked family car.

Jones was rescued when his attacker's parents heard his screams, the lawyers said. His mother said the attack was so violent that the car's windscreen was cracked, the statement said.

The mother appealed after a government authority that grants compensation for victims of violent crimes refused to pay her. The authority said the attack was an "accident," and argued that a 3-year-old was too young to be the perpetrator of a violent crime.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• there is something WRONG with the kid that did this, three or not. most kids that age might hit, but also usually show empathy and distress when another child is crying.

Yoshi, according to another article I read, the attacker continued to hit the poor kid even after he was covered in blood and wailing.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• cont.... The family appealed through a tribunal system that allows the public to protest government decisions.

David Kirwan, a lawyer for Jones' family, said a tribunal judge ruled in their favor Tuesday after they argued that the age of the perpetrator was irrelevant when claiming compensation.

"To batter somebody ferociously with a car jack and to put their life in danger is a criminal act, whether you're 3 or 33," he said.

The age of criminal responsibility in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is 10.

Jones' mother, Renai Williams, said the attacker has since been taken into social care. The boy cannot be named for legal reasons.

"To this day I still have no idea why that boy attacked my son," she was quoted as saying in the statement from her lawyers.

A judge will decide how much compensation Jones will be awarded at another date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'm not so sure a 3 year old can batter someone ferociously.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 10:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree with Yoshi.

Is this kid now considered a dangerous criminal? If that is the case then I demand compensation because of my sister...when she was about 3 or 4 she hit me in the mouth with her doll. I had braces. The whole front of my mouth was a mess, blood poured and it was sore for a month!

I think the parents that locked the children in the car have the most responsiblity. Who would lock 2 three yr olds in a car?? That kind of thing isn't looked on lightly here in the US.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:57 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would really like to know why & how long the two children were left alone in a locked car....

Women here in America have their children taken away if left unattended in a car.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree w/ the above comments... The parents should be charged for neglect. If the toddlers were supervised, this incident wouldn't have occured. The parents who left the children unattended should have to pay for medical expenses and have a neglect charge on their record. The toddler shouldn't be the one held responsible!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The fact that the Mother said "it was an accident" shows she is really an irresponsible liar and if she continues that way, her son will someday end up accidentally assaulting , committing various crimes...and end up in jail. The kid is not normal and I bet his parents have set the bad example.
    Anonymous

• Hmm. You don't accidently hit someone 11 times, even at 3. The boy was old enough to know what he was doing. I'm sorry, but my 2 year old knows (and knew/was learning well before that!) that hitting is not appropriate. Even in day care, you can see it in the kids when they get made or react and you know they know what they are doing. They intend to cause harm because they are mad. However, I find it hard to believe they would accept that the 3 year old is at fault. (either one). They are still young enough to act in impluse (even if they know it's wrong) and still require supervision. I would like to know if the parents were punished for their actions and if the child's behavior was influence by something learned from those parents.
    Anonymous

• Accident? Sure, but here's something for BOTH sets of parents to think about - why did you leave your kids in a locked car? BOTH parents are negligent in that aspect.
    mikazuki

Answer by mikazuki at 12:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The parents need to be chargde , Who leaves a three year old in a locked car? with a TIRE IRON??! If you didn't see SOMETHING could happen, you shouldn't be allowed to superviese toddlers

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009