What approach would you do to your 1st grade son when he does not write in school?

My son just does not write on his notebooks. I do not know what disturbs him. On his test days, I can not give him reviews on his lessons because I myself do not know what to review because his notebooks are empty. I talked to the teacher and they also have the same problem with my boy. How will I go about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, to me it seems like a 1st grader should be supervised/checked by his teacher on a daily basis to make sure he's writing what he needs to while at school. I mean, you can talk to him, punish him, encourage him --- all that --- but you can't be there hovering over the kid every day in school to make him do it.

Talk to his teacher again - request that the counselor talk to him or the principal. Come up with a plan that's consistent between home & the classroom as far as encouragement, punishment, etc.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I meant to add --- at this age the responsibility of your knowing what they are studying shouldn't lie solely on your son. In every 1st grade class I've ever heard of, the teach sends home weekly reports to notify the parents what will be covered & what is expected of the child that week academically.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My daughter did that in school too. She would not do the work in class which frustrated the teacher to no end. When I asked her what they did to create the project which was supposed to be done in class, she could tell me every exact step that was taken to create the project. We did the projects at home, after school, and she sent the finished work back to the teacher. Even though she knew what was expected of her, she felt pressured to do the work in a timely fashion and it kept her from even getting it done. Eventually she felt comfortable doing the work and was fine with the time element to finish the project.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Go to the school and observe him. See what he does during the time. I bet he has sensory issues which keep him from concentrating.
    Anonymous

• Well if he is not doing the work at school then he should be sitting at home and doing it. The teacher should send the work home to have him finish it. He would not eb doing anything else till that homework is finished. When he does then he can do what he wants(video games movies or whatever he likes to do) take it all away till he does as he should!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Can you email the teacher and see if she can send you the notes of what their learning? Maybe see if you send a notebook to school if both of you guys can communicate that way.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 2:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2009