Parents are you listening to the lyrics in your kids music? Does anyone care that its all about greed, sex, violence and or drugs? Do you assume that it won't have influence?

It seems like no one cares and I can't fathom letting my kids listen to the filth on the radio stations. You wouldn't expose them to these things in "real life". You would prefer they not go out and be promiscuous, do drugs and think life is all about getting money. So why do parents let them feed their minds with it?

I don't understand the double standard so I really want to know how you feel on this whether you do or don't let your kids listen to it all.

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 11:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hate censoring my kids, but I do not consider responsible parenting censorship. Letting them listen to songs about killing for the fun of it, bitched and hoes, selling drugs, and whatever else is not appropriate for young kids to hear is bad parenting, plain and simple. Then parents wonder why they get notes sent from school about their kids' filthy mouths, or getting into fights because it's the gangsta thing to do. I am talking about YOUNG kids, not older teens. Young kids are very impressionable, and not old enough to know better. While I don't want my 15 year old listening to that crap, and don't allow it around me, I know most older teens have the common sense to know not to do those things talked about in songs. If they do, it is on the kid, not the person singing the song. I'm not just talking about rap music, either. I am a punk rock mom, so I know that music on my side of the fence can be bad too.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Well my kidsmusic isnt this rap crap.
    We listen to old country and christian music
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• When I was a teenager I listened to death metal and 80's hair metal. I'm not out there "pouring blood from innocents" or any of that crap. Now that I'm older I don't listen to the crap anymore. Music is like an outlet. I understand where your coming from especially when you see stories on the t.v about how some kid who played violent video games murdered 20 people, or how one kid who listened to "satanic music" killed himself. But you have to stop and think about all the people who play those games, listen to the music,watch the movies who don"t end up as murders or druggies. Also some children might listen to that stuff only because they know their parents don't want them too.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My kids are exposed to a wide variety of music. I do not believe it is crap.

If there are words in it that are not appropriate my kids know they are adult words and they are not to use them.

I am sorry but I do not buy into the Tipper Gore non-sense that music will make your child evil...
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My kids don't listen to "kids' music". They listen to whatever me or my husband is listening to.
    I like country, disco and 70s rock. My husband likes metal (all kinds), classic rock and oldies. They listen to a wide variety of music from Elvis and the Beatles to Metallica (my husband's favorite) and AC/DC; Toby Keith and Montgomery Gentry to KC and the Sunshine Band and Steve Miller Band.
    And, yeah, I've listened to the lyrics. I sing along. As do the kids.
    My 3yo's favorite songs are Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and Paramore's "That's What You Get" among other things.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I do not censor my children's music. I view it as a form of expression and i use it as a way to teach my kids. We discuss what we are hearing and what it means etc etc. That said, i don't particularly care for most modern rap and hip hop. Some. but not much.
    What i do censor is the TV. I would not let a stranger teach my child about things such as murder, vaccines, manners, etc ...but every time they watch that TV it's just like letting a stranger into the home and minds of my impressionable young children. We do talk about the TV that i do let them watch. But the conversation tends to be much more one sided then when we discuss music. They are just too zoned into the TV. Good thing i know exactly what they watch.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I used to get into this with my family when I was growing up. I listened to everything. Rap, hip hop, country and heavy metal. When my cousin and I discovered Marilyn Manson, you would have thought we were walking around with signs that said "I worship Satan." Even being exposed to all different kinds of music, I never dealt drugs, sold my body, killed animals to sacrifice to the devil or killed anyone. I never joined a gang listening to hip hop. Never beat up or hated on gay people listening to Eminem. Never sold or did drugs listening to Bone Thugs n Harmony. If I choose to let my child listen to a certain song, I don't let it "feed their minds." I feed their minds. I use it as an opportunity to teach them that most of the time, what the artist is singing about isn't reality or if it is and I don't agree with it, we talk about WHY i don't agree with it. I think if we just TALK to our kids, they will be OK.

Anonymous

• This kind of music has been around for over 40 years, though. It all started with Elvis, then The Beatles. Any kind of alternative music was seen as "filth" in the eyes of parents. Lest we forget Afternoon Delight from the 70's and Pour Some Sugar on Me from the 80's!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Not all music is about greed, drugs and violence. My kids listen to a huge variety of music - folk, bluegrass, reggae, rock, alternative, Israeli stuff. It is actually really great to see your kids singing along with Bob Marley, Idan Raichal (Israeli singer), Shakira or the Red Hot Chili Peppers. My 11yr old loves The Flobots and Mattisyahu.

Yes, there are drug and sex references, but we talk about it. I give them open, honest answers. There are also wonderful songs about love and taking interest in our world or not being pawns of the political world. In theory your musical tastes will influence their, but so will their peers. I plan on listening with my kids as they get older so I don't have to say "turn that crap off!"
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I don't like my daughters listening to music that talks about sex, whores, ect. At night my daughter listens to her radio and it's on the 80's, 90's, and Today station - which doesn't play that kind of music. I also will put it on country or the oldies - she knows the words to so many different genre's of music and I love it. I want her to be musically well-rounded - LOL
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2009