Has christmas become completly commercial???

In my family since I was a little tyke lol we always always did a small family gathering with the ones we love and red the xmas story and sang carols and we actually made the xmas story into a play (dress up included) made cookies and decorated but now it seems to be all about what to buy and greed and spending tons and tons of money. This was more meaningful than ever getting a present and presents didn't really matter but now it's not even about love it's more about material things..honestly I would rather be with the ones I love than get any present to this day...to me the kids that do get expensive toys play with them for 1 day and they are through one year my grandma made all of her grandkids a quilt instead of a toy I still have the quilt and it's been 30 yrs. and I loved the quilt itself more than the toys I received. so my question do you feel xmas has become too commercial?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Christmas is what your family makes of it. If you make it about religion it is about religion, if you make it about getting together with family, exchanging a few gifts, etc then that's what it is about.
    If you make it about Santa and the commercial aspects, getting your kids everything they want then that's what it will be about.
    Christmas for us is about Santa (nothing religious in our house) and about family. The kids get a few gifts but we don't spend a lot and I try to focus more on the little traditions that have been passed down to me. It's not too commercial for us.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:55 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yes I do. Why else do you find people who want help to make christmas great for their *baby* or kids. You don't *need* presents to have a good christmas.
    Anonymous

• Well, my daughter is going to be 17 months old for Christmas, so we are just really starting Christmas (at least where my daughter is almost old enough to appreciate it). I do love the gifts at Christmas time, but obviously that isn't what we want Christmas to totally be about. We love decorating the house/inside and out and listening to Christmas music. We are making Christmas cookies this year, but that will obviously be more fun as my daughter gets older. There is only so much we can do this year that she will actually appreciate. I can't wait to go out looking at decorated houses and stuff! When she is older, we will volunteer somewhere.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yes. While I "feel the need" to get my kids some nice things, it's not commercial to me but it's all around us. I don't think we need to spend thousands on presents for everyone we know and are related to, we couldn't even if we wanted to. I'd just like to visit our families and have a nice dinner, talk and call it a day. I like to take lots of pictures of my kids having fun and our families happy to be together for the day. DH and I don't care if we get anything or not, which is a good thing because we don't usually have the money to get each other anything and when we give gifts to our relatives it's something for the household. But for us, just seeing everyone is enough.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Not in our house it hasn't. We bake, and eat. We sing and decorate. We get together with family. We share each others company. We help those in need and we attend church. We know the reason for the season. Gifts are not that high on our list of priorities.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• very!! I tend to buy useful things not toys and junk. I stuff the stockings with underwear,socks, toothbrushes, everyday usefull things that I have to buy anyways. Then I give blankets, clothes, a few toys, eduactional toys..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Op, yes christmas is comercialized too much and i dont even celebrate christmas. I celebrate winter solstice/yule.
    Anonymous