sexually harrassed at work.

two months ago i was sexually harrased at work. i went to my humna resources department and the other employee was placed on suspension during an investigation. two days later the employee came back to work. we were both told not to speak to each other. now i work in the office he works in the warehouse. so we see other in passing but never look in each other direction. i feel so uncomfortable at work i dreed goin to work. on wednesday of this week i was in the warehouse talkin to a coworker in passing due my lunch hour, my branch manager walked passed me and gave me a dirty look. then on thursday when i came to work my manager asked to see me in his office. he asked if the employee that harrassed me had said anything lately and i said no. then he said that i should not go in the warehouse. because it makes that employee uncomfortable. i said ok and went back to my desk. i was so upset... "make him uncomfortable thats bullshit

julians0mommy

Asked by julians0mommy at 12:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• i was the one sexually harrassed. what can i do? seems that my human resources department will not do anything. i still work here. and he made it out to be my fault. i am so upset. please help what can i do????????
    julians0mommy

Answer by julians0mommy at 12:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• He invaded your fedral rights and now they are not doing anything sue them then they will listen.
    Anonymous

• I can see where you are coming from but at the same time I can also see where your manager is coming from. Regardless of the circumstances that started the incident, two employees were separated as a means to resolve a quarrel. If one of the two employees disregards the distance that was intentionally put into place as part of a resolution, the environment becomes awkward for everyone involved. If he were to spend time in the office I'm sure he would receive the same instructions as it would seem to violate the resolution. With the information you've given I don't see it as unfair treatment. It is just a strong effort on behalf of your company to avoid any future run-ins between two employees which could result in a lawsuit. Honestly, I don't think at this point you would have any grounds for a sexual harrassment lawsuit as a pp suggests. The company has taken action to resolve a sexual harrassment claim. cont,d.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The company is just asking that all parties involved do their part to stick with the resolution.
    sillyt

• I agree with sillyt.....They addressed the situation, made an effort to resolve the situation as best they could ( seperating you two) Now, you need to abide by it. You shouldn't be in the warehouse and he shouldn't be in the office. Look at it a different way, if he was in your office you would be uncomfortable and want him gone. I understand where you're coming from, it sucks that you have to not go somewhere because of him but the reality is that is how the problem was resolved so you have to abide or if you feel you can't then you need to look elsewhere for a job. if I were in that situation, I would not be any where near that warehouse EVER.
    Anonymous

• do your company have a whistle blower hotline? This is not acceptable. Perhaps contact an attorny and see what options are available. I can't imagine any employer that would say "let's ignore the issue and jsut put them in their separate corners'
    Anonymous

• he goes in the office all time i was no where near him and i was told to stay out of the warehouse. my job is to process the delivery drivers paper work. ow i cant get my work done cause i cant go in the warehouse. the time clock in which i punch in at is in the warehouse. he said it to me all i did was tell human resources and now i am made to be the bad guy.
    julians0mommy

Answer by julians0mommy at 12:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I work at a company that has had these kinds of issues, their is an investigation, then a determination and action taken. You don't know the details or the severity of the "harrassment" I understand her side, but there is other sides. It may have been determined that the "harrassment" was not to the extreme that he needed to loose his job and the seperation was the answer. Can OP tell us what actually happened with the harassment? What was the incident or incidents?
    Anonymous

• I certainly wouldn't say that the company is "ignoring" the issue. It's a matter of her word against his, if they don't have any evidence of what happened then they can't fire him. She also won't win any lawsuits based on what she says happened. Not saying this is right or wrong, just looking at it from the company's perspective.
    They gave you different jobs in different areas. Just stay away from the warehouse. I'm sure he's been told to stay away from the office. It's the best they can do in this situation with your word against his. Try to forgive and forget and stay out of that situation as best you can. Your company has given you a job that will keep you away from him.
    Anonymous

• The sad truth of the matter is that although sexual harrassment laws are put in place to protect employees from hostile work environments, when they are needed the outcome is exactly what they were designed to avoid, hostility. The company is on pins and needles right now trying to avoid a lawsuit. If part of your job requires you to be in the warehouse, they cannot expect you to stay out of it and still accomplish what you were hired to do. If his job requires him to be in the office, the same applies. Your original post said that you were talking to a co-worker in passing on a break. I would say just avoid the warehouse for social visits and stick to your mandatory tasks. I'm sure your manager feels just as stressed trying to keep him from invading your space as well. It may feel one-sided, but I'm sure it goes both ways. There is a chance that he was also told not to be in the office for social visits.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2009