what is the best way to clean milk off a newborn tongue to avoid thrush??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't. Thrush is not caused by milk it is caused by yeast. If your infant has thrush it is due to a yeast infection. Honestly, where did you come up with this? *shaking my head*
    Anonymous

• I'm with anon. Where on earth did you take your breastfeeding class? Oh, you didn't? There's the problem.
    Anonymous

• That's an easy mistake to make since the appearance is so similar. But it's caused by a yeast infection. Get off your high horse, bitchy anon #2.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• yea come on anons, like i said in the other topic, my son's PEDIATRICIAN told us we should clean his tongue! so who knows. we switched peds after that, and after she said i should make my son nurse for 40 minutes each time, after he had slowed from nursing about 40 minutes each time as a newborn to about 20 minutes each time at a few months old.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You don't have to. That's not how he gets thrush.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Okay yes thrush is yeast, but it thrives on that sweet milk so cleaning it off the tongue helps remove some of the "food" the yeast has to grow with. IF your child already ha thrush then cleaning can help a little, but you need to treat it in other ways too (either genetian violet or nystatin etc). Cleaning the tongue will not keep them from getting thrush though. We struggled with thrush a couple times and I always just took a small wash cloth and wiped their tongue and then applied the genetian violet after each feeding.
    Anonymous

• My baby had thrush and yes, it feeds on the milk left in the baby's mouth. The pediatrician told me just to give them a little bit of water after she was done feeding. I used the breastfree bottles and it simulates breast feeding so it worked great.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You don't need to do a thing UNLESS you or baby are on antiobiotics too. Don't go making more work. It's not necessary. Many babies develop thrush in OTHER spots besides the tongue. Mine got a rash and never showed a thing in his mouth.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2009