What's the best way to handle a child with learning disabilities?

I have three children. My middle child, Nya is nine years old. She seams to be taking her time learning how to read. She was suppose to be in fourth grade this year but her teacher and I thought it was best to put her back in third grade. She wasn't keeping up with the rest of the class. I am so frustrated everyday when it comes to homework? What is the best way to get her to catch on?

NikelodeonPlse

Asked by NikelodeonPlse at 12:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You need to set up an appointment with her teacher and the principal like yesterday.You need to have some intervention with the school, ours has a learning specialist who works with kids who need extra help with reading or math. I would say I'm shocked that the school has done nothing, but what I've heard about what I am assuming is a public school, I am just saddened, but not shocked. You can also look into places like Sylvan Learning Centers. They are pricey, but if she catches up, it would be worth the price to me.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• help her don't get up set with her she's trying her hardest geting upset just doesn't help anything coming from a person who had a every hard time with reading and writing....
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 12:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• balagan imma is right. The school should of already stepped in. You are your daughters advocate. Make an appt with her teacher, the principle and counselor. Find out what they have to offer. Do not let them blow you off. This needs to be done ASAP. If you feel that they are not helping then contact the special ed department and go from there. Your daughter cannot do this for herself so its up to you. Good Luck
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD GIRL AND A 15 YEAR OLD SON THAT HAS THAT AND ITS VERY HARD TO TAKE CARE OF THIM AND I WOUNDER THAT SAME THANG !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 7:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If it's a public school they have after / before school tutoring depending on the needs at our school. Right now they have reading/math help in each class room after school for an hour and they filled up the first or second day of sign up . You definitely aren't the only parent struggling with this issue. I have had to find help for mine also on the reading part. Good luck on your search and keep looking for answers they are out there.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Just take deep breaths and go at her pace. Let her sound out the words, as long as it may take. If she is really having a problem I would suggest taking her to her peditrician. Resource reading class, or tutoring may help.
    AngieAvila

Answer by AngieAvila at 5:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• ones got to be calm and take your time with her, or there are schools for her to go to too.you know. you cpuld always check into some of those schools.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 4:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2009