What to do about me taking showers... Can I put towels all over the bathroom and just let him pull up and crawl around or is that too dangerous??

My 8 month old is pulling up on everything now and and pulls up on the bathtub and toilet and cruises back and forth between the two. I stay there with him when I'm not trying to shower so I can catch him if he starts to fall, and I used to close him in there with me and he would stay grounded with toys but now he climbs all over the bathroom while I'm showering ( he did this for the first time yesterday). I don't know what to do now? He hates his play-yard, his jumper, and his exersaucer if I'm not right there. I tried to shower quickly with him in the play-yard right there today but he cooperated for 2 minutes and then screamed his head off. Showering while he's napping is a nightmare because he often wakes up after only 10 minutes or so (he's teething) and at night he also has been waking up a lot so I can't shower til like 1:30 am and am too tired. So can I just do the towels thing ? Any other ideas ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So what if he hates his play yard. It is safer than the bathroom. And no don't put towels down, for heaven's sake he will slip on them.
    Anonymous

• Well, I always showered before I went to sleep, but if I ever needed to during the day, I would just put my daughter in her crib whether she liked it or not - was the safest place for her to go and I knew I would not be long.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• can you put the bouncer or exerciser in the bathroom with you? that is what I do.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I used to put my son's play yard in the hallway right outside the bathroom door, then I'd shower with the door open so he could always see me. Now I put him in his play yard and put on Sesame Street and shower while he's watching his show. I don't know if either of these are options for you, but this is what worked for us.

I couldn't shower while he napped either because his bed is right next to the bathroom and our house is old so the pipes are very noisy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You have a few options options, put him in a play yard and shut the bathroom door so you won't hear the screams, and be no more than 10 minutes, put the exersaucer, or jumper in the bathroom with you ( these need to be supervised), or let him take a bath with you.

You can fill up the tub 2 or 3 inches with warm water and then shower while he sits and plays.

This is just one of those things that we have to deal with as moms. Good Luck :)

The PP, as rude as she was, was right. Your little one would be more likely to slip and get hurt with towels on the floor.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I say put him in the jumper in the bathroom. Mine hates his jumper too. Sometimes it's a must and I put him in. Ususally ok after a minute. Letting him roam the bathroom while you shower is just not a good idea.
    Anonymous

• i put my son in his high chair with some toys on the tray in front of the bathroom door,and i will occasionally play peek a boo, he loves it lol
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 12:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Get up before he does and take your shower.

Shower after you put him down for the night.

Shower while he's napping (how long does it take for a shower, anyway? Seriously, I'm done in 10 so I wonder)

Put him in the playpen and know that he'll get used to it.

Let him continue to crawl around the bathroom and get hurt.

Those are your options.
    Anonymous

• I think I let my son crawl around the bathroom. I brought toys in and shut the door. I kept the curtain half open.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• get up before him, or put him a crib.. Towels on a floor>>LMAO!! really.. I wonder how some woman do it.. dumbies..
    Anonymous