Do I need to wake my baby up to eat?

My baby is less than 2 weeks old and born from a c-section. He lost some weight as a normal newborn and the doctor told us (when leaving the hospital) to wake him up every 2-3 hours to feed him. He gained all the weight back and a couple of oz more in less than a week.
He's a healthy baby and sleeps pretty good. Sometimes he sleeps too good at night and I don't want to wake him up. One time he slept for 6 hours!!! Is that bad? Do I need to wake him up to feed him?
Also, someone said that babies born from a c-section don't know how to wake up to eat... is that true?

elimili

Asked by elimili at 12:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes!
    Anonymous

• LET YOUR BABY SLEEP.
    Anonymous

• It always just depends on the mother. I let mine sleep.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• After my experience, unless your baby is small or premature 36weeks or less, I would NOT wake them up to eat. Babies NEED sleep as much as they need food. If you are waking them up every 2-3 hours to eat, then they aren't learning to sleep, and they will have lots of sleep issues.

We woke up our twins every 2-3 hours to eat, and it was a nightmare. IMO it contributed to their constant fussiness, and inability to sleep through the night until almost 2 years.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would NEVER wake a sleeping baby.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Well, let's see...the DOCTOR told you to do it and now you're asking US if it's okay to stop. Might I ask why you aren't just asking the doctor now, or why you didn't ask how long you had to do it when he first told you to do it?

I also think it's hilarious that your doctor says 2-3 hours when most others say 4 hours. LOL Mine was amazed that my kid WANTED to eat every 2 hours.

As for not "knowing how" to wake up to eat...where on earth did you ever hear that garbage? How a baby is born has nothing to do with his NATURAL INSTINCTS.
    Anonymous

• If you're breastfeeding then yes, you need to wake him up to eat every few hours until your milk supply is well established. I had all 4 of my babies on a flexible 3 hours schedule during the day, and yes I woke them up to eat if they slept through. But at night, after my milk supply was established I let them sleep as long as they would between feedings. They learned to establish their day/night pattern very quickly.

Answer by missanc at 1:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Hmm... I'd watch the diaper count and if baby has a good wet 6-8 with less waking then I'd let them sleep at night. If the diapers aren't very wet or less # I'd wake baby up for sure. Unless the 6 hours is during the day --- if it is I'd wake my baby every 2 hours to eat during the day and only let sleep longer at night..

Don't listen to the grumpy anons.
    Anonymous

• The thinking with the c-section is all the drugs during and after will make a baby really sleepy. This can be true.
    Anonymous

• Count dipes. If you change less than six in 24 hours, start waking him. Otherwise, get some sleep yourself...because this isn't going to last!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2009