how to clean a newborns tongue??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok, seriously??? Do you not listen? You DO NOT NEED to clean a newborns tongue!
    Anonymous

• If it's really bothering you, gently wipe it with a soft, damp cloth. But it's really not necessary.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You can use their burpy rag put over your finger and dig in there and slowly wipe it, I believe it is caused by the formula so don't worry just do this when you see milk stuck in there.

kissing

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my son's pediatrician said that we needed to clean his tongue after he nursed! we switched pediatricians.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I've NEVER heard of cleaning a baby's tongue.

Soft infant tooth brush like you use to do their gums.
    Wash cloth over a finger.
    Burping rag over a finger.
    Papertowel over a finger (gross).

Let it go and realize what everyone is already telling you...that there is no need. The milk doesn't cause thrush. (this is the option I would pick)

If you want to do it, think of how you clean yours for crying out loud. Why is it so difficult that you have to post twice for suggestions?
    Anonymous

• We started cleaning my daughter's tongue after she started eating solids, so around 5 months. Then we would just use the little finger toothbrush that we used for her gums and teeth. But we never did it until then. And that was more just to start a ritual because we clean our tongues when we brush our teeth.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• thats a new one. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I've never heard of needing to clean an infants tongue. There isn't any need to.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• oh yes. my MIL made a comment today about my son's tongue and the milk on the substrate. she said it makes my son taste the milk less and that is the reason why she should be getting some medicine to help him build up more muscles because he is not getting enough from me. duh! my son is wetting and soiling sufficient number of nappies and his weight gain is satisfactory too. tsk!
    rain.on.my.face

Answer by rain.on.my.face at 2:45 AM on Dec. 1, 2009