how can i help my son when he comes back from his basketball practices he always complain his legs hurt

farahnaseeb

Asked by farahnaseeb at 12:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• teen boyDid he just start this if so his legs are probably just sore as he keeps practicing his legs will get used to this feeling. Before you know it this feeling will hurt so good but if he stops exercising in this way and decides to start over well he is going to go through this sore feeling again. Now if he has been doing this for awhile you might have to take him to the doctor he could have torn something or maybe just pulled a muscle. Hope he gets better.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Make sure he is getting enough vitamins a and d through milk and he is getting rest. I give my boys ibuprofen for muscle aches.
    Anonymous

• Get him to eat something small, then give him two tablets of Motrin.
    Anonymous

• Where do his legs hurt? It could be anything from just sore muscles to shin splints to a hairline fracture......list goes on and on.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Give him Advil and have him ice his leg and elevate them. If he keeps complaining everyday, take him to the doctor..he could have a shin splint and those need time to heal. My son had one and was in a gel splint for two weeks and no exercise during that time. A shin splint left untreated can turn into a stress fracture. Meaning, 2 weeks to heal a shin splint but 3-4 months to heal a stress fracture. It could also be growing pains. My son has Sever's Disease and that affects how his muscles grow slower than his bones causing pain and stiffness.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I would imagine it's just muscle aches. Does he gets cramps? Mine play football and run track and we make sure they get a banana a day plus vitamins for teen boys and that seems to help which muscle aches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• More then likely he is using muscles that he hasn't used in awhile. When my son's basketball practices first started he too was sore somewhat. He runs 7 miles a day at practice and it took him a few days before he wasnt sore afterwards. He would take a nice long warm bath and take Tylenol 8 hour and it really helps him. If it continues for longer then you feel it should then take him to the doctor, but I know from my son that basketball practice uses alot more muscles then they are used to at first.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My doctor always told me to eat a banana and drink some water after every practice (i was a cheerleader) It helped with my leg cramps A LOT! Not sure if this will help your son but it might
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• soak em in emposin salt(spelling)
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• When my brother was a teen he had osgood schlatter (sp?) ..I don't remember what they did for it but it's pretty common in teen boys and boys who play sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood-Schlatter_disease

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2009