Do you ever feel like you want to give up/in?

There are times I am so sick of the teen attitude that I feel like I should just let him do whatever and not worry any more. I have spent the last 16 years teaching him how to be responsible and he still doesnt get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• hes a teenager. do you remember teenager you? i do. i have a 11 year old step daughter and when i am deeling with her i look back. no matter what my mom said i wouldnt listen. the best thing my mom did when i was about 14 was basicly tell me i was responsible for my own actions and choices but that she was there if i ever needed any help or advice. and letting a child that age be responsible for themselves often does help them make smarter chioces. just make sure he knows that you are there no matter what.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Giving up on your child should never be an option, you are his mother. No attitude, disrespect, or anything should make you give up. Eventually he will grow up and realize what you have done for him and how you have tried to help him. Just stick in there, he's just 16 still a child. Still let him know that you are there for him and that you love him through thick and then, and that you will always be his mama. Teenagers don't realize what they have, let them grow up and get more experience behind them and he should change. I wish the best for you and your son! God bless
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 12:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Do you ever feel like you want to give up/in?
    Yes! My daughter became pregnant last year at the age of 16. My husband and I were the ones that took her to the doctor and bought her the medications, vitamins, etc. that she needed due to severe morning sickness. I insisted on her continuing with her schooling to graduate high school early. Our daughter had the baby in July and then left our home in Mid August just before her 17th birthday to move in with her boyfriend's aunt/uncle. Since she has been with the boyfriend, she has become increasingly disrespectful and hateful toward me and any one who says anything against her boyfriend. He has posted a rather vulgar pic of himself on his myspace profile flipping off the camera and declaring "I'm done. The war is on!" My daughter no longer speaks to any of us nor do we get to see our grand daughter. It sucks! I don't wish this on anyone.
    TxMom2Five

Answer by TxMom2Five at 2:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Sorry to hear that TxMom.

No you dont give up. You ground him until he realizes he isnt going to talk to u like crap. Is dad in the picture?
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Everyday!
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 6:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• There are soooo many times I have felt like giving up. But like the other moms say we can't. I have spent the last 2 years trying and teaching my 13 and especially 16 yo dd about trust and honesty. There have been many tears and lots of yelling, which is followed by hugs and more tears. Maybe it is just me, but, I had these kids for a reason and that is to love as much as I can. Some times too much, but I found that when I am honest and fair with them they are with me. Don't miss understand me, I am the MOM and not their friend, but when I changed what I was saying and the way I was saying it, she heard me better, I got the same point across and it isn't always easy but for me that is what worked. So, yes I have felt like giving up, I think we all do at times, but a ride to the beach and some one on one time to really talk it out makes it better, Good Luck, we all need it.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Everyday is always a trial. I think sometimes we forget that children are people to with their own thoughts and ideas. When they are little they think we are gods and know everything. As they get older we still need to teach them, although we also need to be responsive to their thoughts and ideas.

I agree with wallmom1, sometimes it is more about how you approach something. For me, I try to have conversations with my children and listen to what they have to say. This does not always work, but for the most part it does. I found that the less I yelled and got upset the more they listened. My oldest is just looking for more Independence and he is trying to find himself.

These years are difficult ones, so we just need to help them through them and hope on the other side they understand what we were trying to do. Love them and give them the best, even if they don't always agree with us.

Good luck and don't give up!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• too often... but I would never give up on my four step children.
    armymonkeyof4

Answer by armymonkeyof4 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I totally understand you OP! My 15 year old DD is out of control a lot, but she does have special needs. Even still, they are not the kind of special needs that keep her from understanding right and wrong. Sometimes I just want to scream!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• yes I do. But as you see. so do most moms . your not alone. No matter how maddening things get you shouldn't give up on your teen. He hears you he totally get you. its just easier and less complicated doing things his way for now. just keep repeating yourself im sure its all staying in his head how you keep nagging him. and sooner or later he'll end up being that respondsible son you like him to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2009