He really is "faking it".... is it just being lazy? or a normal baby thing?

My son can walk. Everyone knows he can but he pretends he can't. We go for walks and he will only walk if I hold his hand, if I let go he sits down and crawls. Just a few mins. ago he was mad and he wanted me to pick him up but he was about 4 steps away. He let go of the toy he was using and took those 4 steps over to me. He has never done that before, it was his first steps not "holding on". I was really excited and, this is kind of mean but, I put him back where he started and made him do it again. The funny part is, when we are walking I don't really hold his hand to balance him I just let him hold my finger so he feels like he is holding on to something.

Well anyways now I KNOW he can walk... he just chooses not to. Should I do something about this? I do encourage him to walk he just never really wants to. Is he just a goof ball or do a lot of babies do that?

(he is 14.5 months)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think its normal. When my son started walking he really really wanted me to hold him instead so maybe he is just trying to hold on to that
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• its normal. crawling is faster when theya rent very good at walking. he will walk more when he is ready.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My oldest was like that. I would just keep encouraging him to walk to you. Hold is hand while walking, he isn't ready to walk longer distances yet without holding on. Don't worry, he will soon be running through the house and you will wonder why you pushed him to do it :p
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Even if you think it's not for balance, it is. He's just not quite ready to walk solo yet.
    Anonymous

• Sounds normal, but definitly bring it up to the pediatrician.

You never know, and should be absolutely sure, he is ok and just getting started.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• He just doesn't know he can walk yet. Don't worry - he will. Don't rush it, he'll get there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my son crawled even when he could walk because depending on what he wanted, crawling was way faster!!! seems totally totally normal to me and very much NOT lazy,.. just cautious!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• He's probably just starting to take his steps by himself , don't worry he'll be walking on his own in no time. When he realizes what he can do.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My son is the same way. He's 14.5 months as well. He's taken a few steps between my husband and I all alone, but other than that he won't try it on his own. He can walk really well just holding on to my finger. He's good at standing by himself, however, once he realizes he's standing by himself, he drops down fairly quickly.

They'll do it in their own time. Before we know it, they'll be running!
    Anonymous

• I feel that he may just not be ready. You need not worry he will figure it out. If he is 3 and not walking then something maybe wrong. Well wishes!
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 10:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009