Quick to put on Adderall?

My five year old son has recently been having a tough time following directions and listening in class. He just started kindergarten, and just turned five at the end of August. He has gotten in trouble a couple times at school for not following directions. Also, my husband and I are very involved with him and his activities.
Hoping a dr. would tell me I'm just a paranoid mom and my son is a typical boy getting used to being in school (although he attended preschool for two years), the psychologist advised me my son had ADHD, needed to be medicated, and that medication was the only way he was going to ever be successful in life. He then had us follow-up this morning with a Toya/Tova (?) test in which my son scored very high on and I was told he is "highly intelligent". However the dr said he still needed meds, then got aggrivated b/c I didn't want him on meds right away.... I still need to research, right? Any advice??

SandyJo31

Asked by SandyJo31 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • I would get a second opinion from a different doc in a different practice. This is not something to jump on the medication bandwagon, which you know or you wouldn't be questioning it. Good luck Momma!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I think that you should not give it to him. Even though he went to preschool he just might be having trouble adjusting and as you know kids go through tons of behavioral changes. As for the "only waty to be successful" part that is such shit and i would be pissed that he even thought he could make the judgment. If you don't feel a 100% certain giving it to him then don't. I think it will be better for him that stuff can be addictive. I also don't think that a second opinion would hurt
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If you feel you need to research then please do! I was diagnosed ADHD in the second grade and I was on meds for it until I graduated. I will happily admit that yes it did help me to stay focused but at the same time I do feel that it is something I would have outgrown if given the chance. I have been off those meds for 3 years now and I will admit that once in a while my attention will wander but I am able to stay focused for the most part.

If you feel that the meds will not be helpful to your son then don't let the drs bully you into it. Do your resaerch and stay confident in what ever your desicion is.

JMO but your son sounds like a normal 5 year old adjusting to school!
    mlmartinez

Answer by mlmartinez at 1:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• first off if you look adderol up it is a synthetic methenfetamine type of drug and i personally would never give my child something like that. they say the street drug it best fits is heroin. second my niece, my sister and a family friend were all diagnosed with adhd and it turned out to be an allergy to food dye. if you look up red#40 allergies it will tell you that an estimated 70% of kids diagnosed with adhd simpy have allergies to red#40. it causes all the same symptoms and sometimes even violence. try taking all foods with red dies away, this is most candy, chocolate, even hamburger in the tubes you buy at the stopre have red 40 to protect color. as soon as we took my niece off all red#40 she turned into a completly different child.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• there is a book called The Add Answer by Dr. Frank Lawlis it gives adivice on changes that you can make in your kids diet and in areas of discipline. i think doctors are quick to jump to this diagnosis but the book can give you some other ideas of what he may have or at the very least some other alternatives to try before you jump to medication
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If it was severe enough that a doctor would immediately jump to medication, I'd seek a second opinion.

What happened to behavior modification? Behavior management? Occupational therapy?
    Anonymous

• See, the thing is, my son doesn't "act" like he has an attention problem. He simply does not listen to directions and I feel is still learning how to socialize with his peers and in school. My son can sit for four hours, just like the other day when he was off of school, and play with his legos... literally--- for four hours! He has taken a new interest in drawing and we engage in "artist time"... he can easily draw for 40 minutes. He loves to be read to, is learning how to read to me, and sits through meals. Then, for the dr to tell me "he needs to be on meds... i had seven kids and three were on meds"... I'm thinking, maybe with seven kids, they CRAVED your attention. I think his bedside manner was just very abrasive. Also, my son isn't one of those kids that climbs all over things or says things that are inappropriate. My beliefis that maybe with our recent move, it is a transitional thing, along with starting school
    SandyJo31

Answer by SandyJo31 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Between the move and school, I would imagine that it could be entirely feasible it is simply a behavioral thing to cope with the change. My stepson does have ADD, not ADHD. We tried some counseling for a while, then tried some low dose Concerta. The Concerta almost made him worse, so we took him off of his medication for the summer. We made some modifications to our discipline practices at home, his diet, and his recreation time over the summer. We decided we would monitor him when he started school up again. When we conferenced with his teacher, we were told that they wanted to test him for the accelerated program at school, and that often times with very intelligent children, they are misdiagnosed ADD because they have the ability to create these amazing worlds inside their heads that they get wrapped up in and it is hard to bring them back to reality. See a different doctor. My husband has ADD and wasn't ever medicated.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It never really caused any problems with him after he and his family learned some simply strategies to refocus him. He also was in the accelerated program at school. Now, my stepson's mother has ADHD and she does require medication and you can tell when she isn't taking it. However, both my stepson and my husband lead very normal lives without medication. My stepson has been off of his medication since May, he only took it for 9 weeks anyway, and has been back in school since mid August. His grades have been better and his focus in school has actually improved, along with his attitude. I attribute it to some simple changes that we were able to make in our own home.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Get a second opinion. Meds are great for kids who need them. I don't understand how anyone could know which kid needs them with out trying the non-med options first. I would look into play therapy and a second opinion. That is what I am doing now for my son who is also a young 5 for kindergarten.
    Anonymous