A prediction...just for fun

Since being on this site I have been amazed at the amount of people who are either not religious or not Christian. I mean really amazed, like I must be living in a bubble. So, with growing numbers of anti-religious people on earth and with the amount of scientific discovery; Do you think there will ever be a time on this earth say a million yrs from now or more, when children learn about how there was a time when people thought there was a higher power, celebrated religious holidays and lived life by this old book of stories called the Bible? A time when children in school will learn about us, the things we believed etc in a book because they seem totally rediculous in their time? Putting your religious convictions aside, do you think the world will ever be devoid of religion or religions? A world where humans will learn about us and just shake their heads and chuckle?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What do you mean, humans will learn about "us?" We're not some different specie.
    Anonymous

• Umm, it's NON-religious, not anti-religious. There's a big difference. And yes, I think eventually christianity will go the way of greek mythology. You need only look at past to see the future.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• nope..there will ALWAYS be religion in one form or another...and i'll leave it at that because i dont feel like a debate at the moment
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Interesting thought. I would say that I hope not but it is certainly a possibility.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Just wanted to clarify that I don't think we'll be at a point with no religion necessarily, just that at some point the main religions of our time will give way to other beliefs, whatever they may be. (scientific, other religions, etc)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You mean like they'll talk about us as we do about the past like the dinosaurs...

Whatever happens in the future I am sure they will look back and would be very curious as we are in our world today.

Yes....chuckle chuckle chuckle
    Anonymous

• I hope not!! I'm not very religious, I don't go to church regularly but I do believe in a higher power. I believe in God, Jesus and I also believe in a Creator of our own. But honestly, I do think that is a real possibility, seeing as how many people already do not believe.
    Anonymous

• "What do you mean, humans will learn about "us?" We're not some different specie. " Ok, where did I say we were a different species? Jeeze, can you just answer the freakin question without getting your panties in a wad, or do you have nothing of value to say? If one were to go by way of evolution, humans of a million yrs ago were very different than we are now. I didn't think someone reading this would assume I meant polar bears would learn about us. Get over your hater self!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• There will always be religion. I think some will fall by the wayside, and others will be created. Look at history, there is no period, to my knowledge that has been void of religion.

Yes, I think that how we live now, will be studied by future generations.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I don't think that the world will become non religious, I just think that Western religions will be torn and created into other beliefs and aspects will carry over and other aspects won't.

There are so many things that seem barbaric, idiotic, and dangerous to us now that were so common in other eras that we study. I am not necessarily saying that the religions of the world now are barbaric, idiotic, or dangerous. Just that there are so many things that have fallen out of common practice that we learn about in history. I believe that religion as we know it now will be one of those things.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2009