christmas? about child

so last night at dinner my son who is almost 9 asked me why we celebrate christmas I then explain that we are celebrating a birthday of Jeaus, son of God. I then told him that since he can't get gifts he allows everyone eles to recieve them. WE ARE NOT RELIGIOUS!! WE DO NOT PREACH GOD!! WE DO NOT GO TO CHURCH!! MY CHILDREN DO NOT KNOW ABOUT GOD OR JEAUS. Did I give him the right answer?

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• oh ok so you believe in them! :) Then I would say that is fine. Makes more sense to me lol :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The 'right' answer is whatever you want your child to know. You are the mama. :)
    PS- Give church a try. It's wonderful.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 1:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• oh gosh> I am sorry I did spell Jesus wrong.. see I told you we don't preach him..SORRY> that was a honest mistake. I do believe in them just not preach or church.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Why did you tell him that if you haven't told your kids anything about God? Just wondering. Don't mean to sound rude or mean. I mean that IS the reason we celebrate Christmas, but if i didn't believe in any of it I would tell my children it's because we want to celebrate being a family and caring about one another. And then tell him the story of St Nick and everything he did for people. Just personally that's what i would tell my son if he asked and I wasn't "religious". I'm not meaning to sound rude hon! Seriously! It's just a thought! :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• mama.. I was thinking of that, I just worry cause my boys don't sit through nothing.. I was involved in a chruch group as a teen and loved it. My children have never even seen a church or got baptized, is that bad?
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• zach.. it is not that I don't want them to believe it is just I have never had a reason to talk god, I do want them to know but I dont want to go to deep into it. I want them to know the true meaning of christmas, without all the details.. :)
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• honey your not "bad" for not taking your kids to church. Just try it! i know our church has a "Zoo Zone" it's where all the kids from 3-11 go during the service, so parents don't have to worry about them disrupting the service. They have a little lesson in there, play games, have a snack, and do a craft. it's a fun time for them! :) Try to find a church that has something like that :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• oh yes they know there is a heaven and stuff I just never had to say Jesus or God to them. So they looked at me like I was crazy. lol
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It really depends on your actual beliefs. That isnt how Christmas came to be really, it started out with pagan origins that were then twisted by the church to combine two belief systems.

If you believe in God and Jesus then there is no harm nor foul but you may want to teach him about all the reasons for the season since you said you dont really believe in one thing or another(basically).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Oh ok! :) just explain to them who they are then lol :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009