What do you think?

Ever since I was younger, I have wanted to live in NYC. The excitement and fast pace seems so desirable to me, I don't know why. I've actually looked at jobs and apartments, fantasizing about what it would be like to pack up and move there. Anybody from there or have visited maybe want to burst my bubble so I don't do anything rash?! Or do you love it there? I live in NM now so it would be a HUGE change for me and my family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, I don't know how expensive it is where you live but it can be CRAZY expensive to line in NYC and you couldn't really have a car, most "apartments" are tiny and still thousands a month. Even going out on the town is like 3 times what other places are.. Me and my friend went there and a beer at a "local" bar was $13 and that was 5 years ago.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• even if it you had tons of money and you liked walking or taking a taxi everywhere the winters are crazy. im from nc and i live in ny now the winters suck hardcore
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• IMO, it isn't the ideal place to raise a family. I suggest visiting with your SO, and you will quickly realize that you either love it or hate it.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I always wanted to live in California. When I was 23 I quit my job and came. When I got off the plane at LAX I felt like I'd come home. Been here 23 years. The difference is you have a family. I had nothing to lose. If I failed I could just go home (To England) and pick up where I left off.

I LOVE New York and totally get the attraction. I say go for it, but carefully.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Been there done that. I was the shyest person ever. I actually worked in Manhattan and yes it is full of life. I guess it got me out of shell. Downtown is wall street and basically dead on weekends. Midtown is full of life and jobs too. The subway system is the best way around the city.If you want to work there ask for compensation for transportation on the rail road systems. Just be aware of your surroundings. I have never had anything bad happen to me, but I was brave on that subway. Be strong and enjoy. Where else can you bump into ZsA Zsa Gabor on the street, take a subway ride with John F Kennedy Jr and have Josh Hartnett having pizza next to you at a restaurant? Only in NY....
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• twin mommy, NY is the best place to raise a family. It is the hippest best state to live in and NJ and Florida are alright too.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I grew up in Los Angeles and now live in farm country. I'd love to go back to the big city.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2009