Will my toddler broaden her food likes?

At about 8 months she wanted nothing to do with baby food and loved everything I was eating. Then at about 12 month she hit a wall. She likes nothing other than mac n cheese and ramon noodles. I also can not get her to drink anything else besides milk and water. When I say "get her to eat" I have tried 100's of items more than 10 times and still haven't given up but no luck. What am I doing wrong??

cboisvert

Asked by cboisvert at 1:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Trust me coming from a 13 year old that don't eat nothing, pizza, roman noodles, pasta with ragu sauce only, corn, and apples and vitamins-this year she eats romain lettuce with lots of ranch dressing.

You must broaden her food habits, she is not going to do it on her own, give her some of what she likes, but you must feed her diffrent things, when they are hungry they will eat.

Do not give up, or give in, you will have a teen who does not like to eat anything if you do.
    Good luck, my other 3 eat everything, my son tries but it does not work.
    I wish someone told me that when she was a year old.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My son was the pickiest kid on earth. He had maybe around 10 foods that he would eat. Then when he turned 7-ish he started eating more. Now at 14 he will eat everything.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• She doesn't need to drink anything other than milk and water. Juice has tons of sugar and kids don't need it. As far as the food, I'm sure it's just a phase. I am going through it with my daughter and she is 16 months (she didn't start table food unti almost 12 months) Half the time, everything I make her ends up on the floor, but I dont give in. I just keep putting healthy stuff in front of her and eventually she'll eat. Just don't let her have milk until after she eats. If I would let her, my daughter would live off of just milk.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• you arent doing anything wrong! keep offering new foods and if she rejects them move on to the next one next time. dont force her either. you could always try mixing foods together. my son doesnt like spinach, but I sneak it in macaroni and cheese and bake it for crispiness, it soooo good and he gobbles it up. it's normal for infants and toddlers to be picky eaters!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My SD is 3 and is just now getting over the picky eater thing. I think it just takes time and patience. I swear, for months, all she ate was mac and cheese and pepperoni and apples. The end. Now, she's finally trying chicken, steak, fish, and so many fruits and veggies. She has also become bagel obsessed! You're not doing anything wrong. It comes with time. In the meantime, if you feel your child isn't getting the nutrients she needs, try buying Kid's Essentials shakes a s "snack". Good stuff. :)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 1:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree with Kfree. Its certainly up to you to broaden his food. 10 foods.... or the foods your child likes arent enough nutrients to truly satisfy her growing mind and body. My daughter tried to eat only her mac n cheese the first couple times I gave it to her so I stopped giving it to her. Then when she got used to other foods I gave her a little, but always more veggies than the mac. If she likes that stuff at least switch to whole grains...ramen has no nutritional value so I kindly recommend you not give that to her. Trust me, I have some in my cabinet and I know its cheap and quick but you'd be better off pre making wheat pasta and keeping on hand with some tomato sauce for her.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my son isn't exactly picky, but he doesn't like the textures of certain foods, but I also don't offer choices... If he doesn't eat dinner, he doesn't get anything else.. he's only 2 and that seemed young for me to start that but he's also smart and I've seen him try to get his way
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I give my son canned veggies at the start of his meals so he eats them before he gets his main course. Canned veggies are soft and not as flavorful as fresh- but with current canning methods they retain a good amount of vitamins and nutrients.
    Also, I put healthy foods out on the table for him to nibble on through the day. I treat cut up baby carrots as a snack rather than a veggie that he gets with his meals. I have also pretty much done away with sugary snacks. He will get cheerios and raisins as his usual daily snacks- they are better for him than cookies.

Milk and water are good to drink. Maybe try a juice box. The exotic drinking straw might compell her to drink the juice.
    BTW, my son is 2 and eats about 10-20 things almost exclusively.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Thank you everyone...I have tried to put new things in front of her and she throws them on the ground she is so sassy. :) It surely is not about the $$$ cause I would spend every last cent on all sorts of food for the chance she would like it for it surely has to be cheaper than all that we do waste. :) I know there is nothing in the food see likes...I have tried the tricking and substitutions but she usually screams and either spits out immediately or just knows something is different. I then feel awful cause I do not want to force. I guess I should just keep trying and again I truly appreciate all the help...
    cboisvert

Answer by cboisvert at 2:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• First, water is all that she needs to drink. Second, make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a wide variety of healthy foods.

Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009