Not really worried but confused about this...

O.K. Last night I posed this question but I'm trying to get as much info about it as possible. My son is not pooping. It has been 11 days. He is NOT running a fever. He is NOT fussy or sick. He does NOT have a hard belly or lumps in his belly. He IS passing gas and eating every 2-3 hours. I was told to start him on cereal and bananas at 4 months. He ate a little bit the first few times and now refuses to eat so he is back on strictly breastmilk. What should I do about him not pooping since he seems fine?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 1:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when is the last time he pooped? breastfed babies dont poop as much because the nutrients are used more than nutrients from formula. it's a good sign he is still passing gas and doesnt have a hard belly! my son once went almost 3 weeks w/out pooping, but he still passed gas and didnt have a hard belly or showed signs of tummy pain. if you are introducing solids, make sure you only offer a tiny amt and treat it more like a treat then meal since breastmilk is the main source of nutrition! and dont go nuts with bananas because eating too much of them can cause constipation (for most babies) :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• first you should try prunes not a whole cannister but a couple of bites or put a couple of drops of hunny in his bottle. If he will drink juice do prune or apple. You should probably call the doc and talk to one of his nurses to get some advice.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• 11 days is a long time not to have a bm. I would bring him in to his doctor and have him checked out.
    Anonymous

• Well, first of all, whoever told you to start him on ANYTHING at 4 months was wrong. The AAP and WHO now recommend strictly breastfeeding until 6 months.

Second, bananas are very constipating, and so is cereal. Bananas and cereal are okay in small quantities, but they will surelyc ause constipation if that's all he's getting.

Third, breastfed babies sometimes don't poop for weeks at a time. Their bodies get so efficient at using the breastmilk that there's no waste left over. So if he has been strictly breastfeeding most of the time for the last 11 days, it's normal. If he hasn't, then he's probably building up one hell of a poo lol.

Breastmilk is a natural laxitive. Remove the cereal and bananas from his diet (for at least the next two months) and only breastfeed for a week. If he gets fussy, starts straining or he doesn't poop in that time, see your doctor.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'd call the doctor. But when my son wouldn't poop I gave him some prune juice. Half prune juice half water...worked like a charm!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Banana's can be constipating for some people/kids .. I would just wait longer to feed him solids if his little body is constipating from it. Cereal will be constipating also, most babies won't eat what theiir bodies aren't reacting good to also. if you call the nurse helpline, they might say its ok to try a suppository if its been 11 days, my son was constipated from birth so I used them off and on from 2 weeks old to a year. but I still think you need to get the ok and they are only $3 at target or pharmacy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• HONEY?! First poster, NEVER EVER EVER give honey to a child under 1! They can get BOTCHALISM and DIE.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

um tahts if you give them like a spoon. i gave my dd chamoli teas with a drop of honey alot of times and she sint death.

ok most peopelstrt teir kids on solids at 6 mts. and babnas can caused cosntipation. also is the bbay bf or ff?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• he didnt die and if your child goes out in public he could breathe air and get the flu......i think he will be ok
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I definitely recommend staying away from honey until one year. And I would maybe take this as a sign that he isn't ready for solids yet. Just take them out of his diet and try again in a few weeks. It could be entirely possible that he is just processing all of the breastmilk he is consuming. I would call your doctor's helpline just to be sure that your little monkey doesn't need to be seen. From the fact that he is passing gas, not terribly fussy, doesn't have a hard tummy, I would imagine he is fine and it is just his body doing its thing, but I would call just in case.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2009